It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

Friday, November 25, 2005

It was still dark outside when I got out of bed this morning and yet women all over the country had been up for hours and were moving like an army on the malls of America. The attack was on! Snatching, grabbing, squealing with delight. The fun was on! I am happpy to say that my wife was still in bed At this time of life there is very little "stuff" that we do not already have. Don't misunderstand, I know why they do it. It's part of a long tradition. It's the thing to do. But there does come that time when you reach a saturation point. A time when you desire more sleep than more "stuff." You prefer bed over baubles. You had rather have sugar plums dancing in your head than bills piling up on your desk. That's when you know you have arrived----your old!

I turned 71 yesterday and I kinda like it. I no longer have to give a reason why I don't want certain things, I don't want to do certain things and that I just want to sit. Everybody seems to understand---Clif's old.

Even though I'm old now I'm still excited about Christmas. First and foremost I'm still excited about the old, old story about the Christ child. In a few days I will put lights on the outside of the house and light the tree on the inside. We will put decorations all around and say once again, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." We may even sing the words. We'll smile a lot, laugh a lot and generally just feel good all over. It's beinning to look a lot like Christmas and I am glad. I hope you are too.

0 comments: