On Loving Pizza

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Pizza! Don't you just love it? Oh I know, many of you like me, grew up eating "comfort food"--- biscuits and gravy, fried chicken, fried potatoes, the list goes on and on. I must stop. I'm making myself hungry! I can remember the first time I heard about and saw pizza. It was called pizza pie and to my eyes it looked awful. I didn't bother to try it for several years. I have never been to Italy, but I have eaten pizza in many places. Some of the best was at a little place right on the beach at Malibu. We have been attending the Pepperdine Lectureship since 1958 and so at least once a year we had visited this little Italian resturant named Cardi's. We first went there with "Big" Don Williams, my roommate at Abilene Christian. The restuarant was small, over- crowded----but the food was fantastic. They later moved across the street from the beach to a bigger place. The food remained the same. I'm writing this to tell you that in Phoenix we have a place that makes pizza just as good as the little place in Malibu. Sure, I had rather eat my pizza in Malibu, but since I can't always be there----I love Red Devil Pizza in Phoenix. Some guy in New York declared a Pizza made in downtown Phoenix as the best in the country. I'm ashamed to say I can't even remember the name of the place. I fully intended to give the pizza my own taste test and rating. But I didn't. So right now, my vote is for Red Devil Pizza. Why does the man in New York have the right to name the nation's best pizza? Who gave him that power---the pizza gods? Listen to me. Try Red Devil---you will like. Better still, if you're my friend, give me a call, I will take you. Don't you just love pizza?????

1 comments:

Nicholas said...

Yes I love Pizza!!! Very good blog. I find it interesting that you did not have pizza as a kid. We grew up on the stuff. I was like 7 or 8 years old when I had my first slice of heaven on earth,it was at my uncles house. Hooked ever since.