The Day After

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Yesterday was the day after Christmas. I didn’t venture out of the house. (Well, I did put my trash can out so my neighbor could use it. He has children and they had lots of empty boxes, etc. to throw away) But that’s it. I stayed in doors all day. I stayed as far away from the shopping malls as I could.

I haven’t gone near a mall on December 26 in sixteen years!

I learned a lesson about after Christmas shopping sixteen years ago and I haven’t forgotten it. The lesson is: Unless you are built like Arnold Schwarzenegger or you just like to live dangerously---stay at home!

“But, just think how much money you can save, Clif.” I like money as much as the next guy, but not enough to risk “life and limb” for it.

On December 26, 1989 I had only been in Phoenix a little over four months. Dillard’s advertised Christmas ornaments for 75% off. Wow! Today, we have all the ornaments we need, but sixteen years ago we thought we needed a few more. So off to Dillard’s we went. We were smiling, laughing with visions of great bargains in our heads. The parking lot was full of cars when we arrived. The escalator was jammed with people going to the second floor. When we got off the escalator we could hear loud voices but the thing that caught our attention was the popping of Christmas ornaments being broken. Not just one or two being dropped because of the crowded conditions, but one after another for several minutes.

Coward that I am, I ran! I headed to the down escalator as fast as I could go. I never looked back! “Did you leave your poor wife with the crazed mob?” I sure did. The building could have been on fire and Charlotte would have stayed for the bargains. I would have stayed if I thought she could have protected me. But to be very honest about it, I think she was glad I left. She couldn’t get into the full swing of things with me holding onto her hand.

I know, I know. Heading for the mall on December 26 is a tradition in your family. I’m happy for you. We need family traditions. I’m glad you go out there and help the economy. My tradition is staying at home curled up with a good book. (I always get several for Christmas). It’s traditional for me to sit around the fire, but darn it, this year it was just too hot.

0 comments: