IN-N-OUT BURGERS/BEAUTIFUL WIFE

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Everybody in Scottsdale loves In-N-Out Burgers. Everybody, that is, except my wife. She eats them, but she doesn’t love them. We know by experience that if you don’t want to stand in a long line and if you want to get a place to sit that you have to go before the lunch or dinner hour. So we left what we were doing and headed over to the burger place around 11:15. Now that is too early for lunch and should have been early enough to beat the crowd, but when we walked in the place was packed.

I tried to figure it out. Why are there so many people here? Sure, the burgers are good but not that good. Really! I asked myself why I liked them. Maybe this would give me a clue why so many people were there. It didn’t! I think I like them because the first little In-N-Out Burger place was in Baldwin Park, California. We lived in West Covina at the time which was just down the freeway from Baldwin Park. Today they train their employees at a burger college not far from that first little place. Maybe I feel close to them because they began close to where I lived. Maybe I think the burgers are better because the employees are well trained and have a degree from burger college. I also like the fact that the two palm trees out in front are always crossed over each other to form a cross (kinda like). The beverage cups have John 3:16 on them (look for it, if you haven’t already seen it). Maybe none of this has anything to do with why I like them. Maybe I just do.

Well, yesterday while standing waiting for my number to be called I wasn’t thinking about why I like In-N-Out Burgers (It’s kinda silly when I get to thinking about it---I like all burgers) I was thinking about my wife. I was looking around the room trying to find where she was sitting. My eyes fell on this beautiful lady and I realized that it was Charlotte. I scanned the room again looking over (not lusting) every woman and said to myself, “You lucky dog, all the women in this room and that beautiful lady is the one you are going home with.”

But it’s not luck. It’s providence. I prayed. She prayed. God listened. It’s a long story. It’s amazing how God molds, shapes, allows, causes and works His will. We first said, “Hi” when we were in our early teens. We will say, “Good-bye” when in the providence of God it is time.

“Thank you Father for bringing this beautiful woman into my life”. Her beauty is not just skin deep. She is beautiful in her very being. Beautiful is what you see and beautiful is what you get.

I guess I like In-N-Out Burgers because I usually eat them with Charlotte. I don’t know why she doesn’t like them.

2 comments:

Larry said...

Your wife is right again :) In-N-Out Burgers are barely a step above the Big Mac (like eating cardboard.)

Wonderful post in appreciation of your wife; you are blessed.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a beautiful life, just lamenting over a hamburger place, where a hamburger that someone describes as tasting like cardboard. Sometimes the taste isn't the secret. The satisfaction and habit formed through the years is what really makes one's favorite place to go the real reason for loving the place.
Charlotte seems to make the perfection of your enjoyment. After meeting you both at the California reunion, I can see why the nostalgia makes the connection a happy one!
Places, songs, foods, refreshes our memories of that particular era, of our lives that we cherish, but keep in the back of our minds, until a nudge comes along, like when we hear "Chattanooga Choo Choo", "Moonlight Cocktail" then the toughts of the person whose favorite song that was...or lovingly, the person it reminds you of...
I can hear an old song, or most of the songs of the 1940 big band era, and go right back into that period when I was living and loving that part of my life, never thinking it would pass, never to be the same again...but nothing is the same, the second time round...

Gilberts Drugstore had the same effect on me, and brings back memories, back there in my mind somewhere, of the happenings of those days...there was WWII going on, lots of my friends and school buddies who left, and never returned... how we used to sit for hours, eating hamburgers, sipping cokes, and do what high school kids did back then...hang out...(as it is termed now) never any showing of likes or dislikes of anyone... Oh, if we could only turn back time and relive some of those moments... Reba