A POCKET FULL OF BEANS

Saturday, January 07, 2006

A pocket full of money would be better, but what I have is a pocket full of beans---pinto beans. I don’t always go around with beans in my pocket. These are left over from last night. Not last night’s dinner, they are uncooked---last night’s beaning of the birds. Well I didn’t really bean them, I missed. But my bean throwing was close enough to them that two beans sent two birds flying. I didn’t really want to hit them, although the beans wouldn’t have hurt them from the distance I was throwing, I just wanted to drive them off my window ledges.

We had our house painted about a year ago and it is nice and clean and we want to keep it that way. The pigeons evidently don’t care much for clean. Modesty is not even in their vocabulary. They just let it rip wherever they are. As a result there is bird poop all over our new paint job. Well, not all over, but all over the window ledges. About three weeks ago I cleaned it all off, which is no small job. When I got through the front of the house, over the garage, was nice and clean. It looked like we had just had a wonderful winter rain. (It hasn’t rained in Phoenix in months) However, in a few days the crap had begun to pile up again. It began to look hopeless. I didn’t know how to get rid of them and I certainly didn’t want to move.

Yesterday I cleaned the house again. Last night and the night before I attacked! The first night I couldn’t find the beans so I used almonds. The almonds worked well. The birds left for the night and didn’t come back until last night. I could have used almonds again but I decided I had rather get rid of beans than almonds.

How long do I plan to keep this up? I honestly don’t know. I’m pretty stubborn---but so are those birds! Please don’t send me your suggestions for getting rid of birds unless you know of something besides: fake owls, messy glue like substances and poisons.

Right now I have a pocket full of beans and a 22- rifle in the closet. If you drive by some day and my windows are all gone and the front of the house is all shot up---come in and talk to me about the owl, I will be ready to listen.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny I put bird seed on my window sill so I can take pictures of birds. Yesterday I had crows! My Grandfather UF Ditmore would roll over in his grave if he knew I was feeding crows. Mom said when she was a youngin Grandpa would make her go out in the field and chase the crows away. Oh well we all have a passion of some sort. Latley mine has been photographing birds. I took pictures of a RedTailed Hawk this week and went to watch the Eagles at one of our lakes. They are so gracefull in thier flight.Nice to see you here blogging.