THE EMPEROR’S CLUB

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Tonight all over America people will be gathering around television sets watching The Academy Awards presentation. Earlier in a blog I predicted that Joaquin Phoenix would win the academy award for his portrayal of Johnny Cash in Walk the Line. Now, I do not believe he will win. Not because he was not good---he was. His portrayal was excellent. In my opinion he was Johnny Cash. I will not go into all the reasons I think someone else will win. That’s another story for another day.

I do not recommend many movies. So when I do you can be assured that I feel very strongly about the movie’s merits. Today, the movie I want to recommend has nothing to do with this year’s Academy Awards---or any year’s for that matter. The movie I want to recommend did not receive much attention a few years ago when I first saw it. It hasn’t received much praise from anybody. Why then, am I talking about it now? I first saw it at the theater and yesterday I saw it again on television.

The Emperor’s Club is the kind of movie I would produce if I could make movies. I was moved emotionally the first time I saw it and I was moved again yesterday. Kevin Kline is the star of the movie. He plays a teacher. A teacher!

I love teachers. I always have. I suppose I always will. It has been my good fortune to cross the path of some of the greatest teachers. I will always be grateful for everything they taught me. God has gifted some to teach. I am thankful for those who recognized their gifts and used them to bless others.

THANK YOU GOD FOR GOOD TEACHERS!

0 comments: