YOU CAN’T GO HOME AGAIN

Friday, March 17, 2006

Writer, Thomas Wolfe said, “You can’t go home again.”

This Sunday, March 19th I ‘m going to try! I will be going back to the pulpit at Lincoln Heights Christian Church in Phoenix. Every Sunday for fifteen years I went to the pulpit there. I have been retired now for two years. I have been back there twice for funeral messages but never for a Sunday sermon. This will just be a one time thing. I will not really be back!

Things will be different. I have assisted with the funerals for two beloved members. It will not seem right to be in the pulpit and not have them on the pews. Other friends have moved out of state or to other churches. New people have come! They will not know me and will not be familiar with my preaching. Preaching is defined as “Truth through personality.” They are use to the personality of Dr. Michael Moore. It will be different for them.

I am so excited to be returning after two years. I still remember my first message there. I sat on the front pew singing, “Open my eyes Lord, I want to see Jesus….” with tears in my eyes. And then for the next fifteen years I climbed those stairs to the pulpit with a Bible in my hand and a message on my heart. I’m excited about going back.

As I prepare to preach at Lincoln Heights I remember the words of Hugh Latimer. One Sunday morning when headed toward the royal chapel, he heard a voice within him say: “Latimer, Latimer, be careful what you preach today because you are going to preach before the King of England;” then another voice said: “Latimer, Latimer, be careful what you preach today since you are going to preach before the King of Kings.”

0 comments: