SUFFERING

Thursday, August 10, 2006

During almost fifty years of ministry I found suffering to be the most difficult thing I had to deal with. What can you say or do for those who are suffering? I read everything I could put my hands on that even slightly related to this subject. Many of those books are still on my shelves and I refer to them often.

This morning I read a message by Joni Eareckson Tada, who is severely paralyzed and has been for years. I want to relate to you four points she made about suffering:

EVERYDAY IS FULL OF OPPORTUNITY, EVEN FOR THE SUFFERING. (2 Peter 3:8) Sheila Walsh sings: “O Lord, you’ve given me this day. Don’t let me waste a moment of your precious time.”

THE SUFFERING CAN INVEST THEIR LIVES IN PRAYER. Tada is sometimes confined to bed for long periods and finds prayer a way to deal with her suffering.

THE SUFFERING CAN IMPACT THOSE AROUND THEM. (2 Cor. 4:16-18)

THIS IS THE WAY WE ALL SHOULD LIVE. (Ps. 90:12)

I realize this would be simplistic, silly and offensive if I was the one making these remarks. However, coming from Joni, they speak to the heart. I’m not suggesting that there is something magical in her comments and that suffering becomes easy. No, suffering is tough and always will be, but her remarks seem helpful. I hope they are helpful to you. If you are not suffering now—you have been or you will be.

God bless you as you live for HIM.

0 comments: