SHOOT FIRST, ASK QUESTIONS LATER

Thursday, January 18, 2007

When living in California I had a neighbor who, when leaving on vacation, would say to me, “Clif, if you see anybody messing around my house, shoot first and ask questions later.” No, he wasn’t serious; he didn’t want me to shoot anybody and everybody who happened to come by. What he wanted was for me to watch his property.

We do need to be careful about judging people before all the facts are in. We might convict an innocent person. But there are times to shoot. For example:

A policeman looking straight into the barrel of a gun in the hand of wild man should shoot first and ask questions later. Of course, in our society he will be in a lot of trouble if he does.

Reporters reporting on the man in Missouri who was caught with two missing boys and later confessed to the crime should tell us the kidnapper has been caught and ask questions later. Of course, in our society they must first say he is a suspect and then after months/years and thousands of dollars later they might be able to say he is the kidnapper.

Why we had to have a trial to decide if Saddam was guilty, I will never know. Why O.J. Simpson is living free, even after having a trial, I’ll never know. Why O.J. hasn’t had to pay the Browns and Goldmans a cent, even after the courts determined he must, I’ll never understand.

Why two borders guards are now serving time in prison for shooting a Mexican drug smuggler in the butt, I'll never know.

COLOR ME STUPID. I JUST DON’T GET IT!

0 comments: