DEATH, TAXES, GIRL SCOUT COOKIES

Friday, January 18, 2008

DEATH, TAXES, GIRL SCOUT COOKIES

Death, taxes and Girl Scout cookies just keep coming around!

Let’s face it. There’s no escape—certainly not from death or taxes. But what about Girl Scout cookies? I woke up this morning and lay in bed thinking about it. Do you suppose they could find you in the bush in Ethiopia or in an Ashram in India?

Every January they come. They confront you in front of the super market, connect with you in the foyer at church and corral you on your cul-de-sac. No need to say, “I’m cutting back on my eating.” I know. I have been saying it every January for years. No need to say, “I’m diabetic.” I have been saying that for the past twenty years.

To say “No” to a Girl Scout is like turning your back on Mom, the American flag and apple pie. Wait. Come to think about it we have burned the American flag. And I have even heard of some moms being burned and buried in the back yard. I have also heard of a few apple pies being burned but I assumed that was by accident.

The truth is death, taxes and Girl Scout cookies are part of the American way of life. These girls have been hustling cookies for eighty years. No reason to stop now.

I like the Samoa cookies. They should be here in time to ruin my “cutting back” resolution and put a frown on my Doctor’s face when he sees my blood sugar readings. Hey, I gotta blame somebody!

0 comments: