JESUS SAID, "FATHER"

Monday, September 22, 2008

The silence of God can be overwhelming!

Is anybody there? That is the long, prime-agonizing question of the ages.

I am doing a series of posts on how I can believe in a God that allows so much suffering.

One thing that needs to be said is that my problem has never been—believing in God. That’s a given for me. I have always believed in God. If you don’t, then that is a topic to be addressed in another series. I must begin with the assumption that you believe in God, you just don’t understand how he can allow so much human suffering.

Here is what works for me: In the New Testament Jesus called God “Father” 275 times. There are exceptions, but generally speaking fathers are good, loving, and compassionate.
We do not always understand them but we know they love us and want what is best for us and would never hurt us unnecessarily.

That being said, this is the way I find peace amid suffering. I realize in this life I will never understand everything about God, but the one thing I cling to is that he is good and that he loves me. That’s it. I find my peace in his love and grace to me.

So I go on, not knowing,
---I would not, if I might---
I would rather walk in the dark with God
Than go alone in the light;
I would rather walk with Him by faith
Than walk alone by sight.

2 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

thank you for your words today...i've shared them with a friend who is very close to losing a loved one who suffered a massive cardiac arrest and her brain activity has dropped to "extremely low"...they are in a place of suffering at the moment.

I looked at your decorations...very pretty and colorful! Fall decorations are my favorite

Debbie said...

Hello Cliff - I read your message on my blog, and I wanted to let you know where I've been. Troubling times in my family. I have a 22 year old daughter who has finally admitted she is addicted to methodone. My heart has been so heavy.....but your blog and words lift me up and inspire me, as always. Thank you so much for being so kind as to share your thoughts. You are inspiration to me. Tell Charlotte Hello. And I play "Rivers of Babylon" over and over. Thanks for that too.
Debbie