TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE, TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Those who have the last place now will have the first place in the future." (Matthew 20:16)

Max became acquainted with Ben when he was barely fifteen and Ben was seventy. Max was young and convinced that the best was yet to come. Ben was weathered and crusty, living off of yesterday’s accolades. They met when Max was trying to get work in the oil fields during the school holidays.

It didn’t make any difference who got there first, all that mattered was the strength of your back and the experience under your belt. That’s where Max and Ben came up short. They were usually passed over. In the oil field they were common cast outs. Fellow failures. The “too little, too lates.”

The Bible tells a story of grace. The story of a landowner who needs workers. At 6:00 A.M. he picks up his crew and puts them to work. At 9:00 and then again at 3:00 he comes for a few more and finally at 5:00. The unskilled, untrained, uneducated went at 5:00. They were absolutely dependent upon a merciful boss giving them a chance they didn’t deserve.

We were chosen by God for the same reason the five o’clock workers were chosen for work. You and me? We are the five o’clock workers.

I’ll let Max tell the rest of the story: “You guys still need some work?” Ben jumped down from the barrel and answered for both of us. “Yessir.” “Grab your hats and lunches and get in the truck.” We didn’t have to be told twice. I’d already eaten my lunch but I grabbed the pail anyway. We jumped in the back of the flatbed and leaned against the cab. Old Ben put a smoke in his mouth and cupped his hand around the match to protect it from the wind. As the truck began to rumble, he spoke. Though it’s been twenty years I still can see his eyes sparkle through the furry brows. “Shor feels good to be chosen, don’t it boy?” Sure does, Ben, It sure does.”

Chosen by God. Yes Ben, it sure feels good to be chosen!

(Paraphrased and retold from Max Lucado's And The Angels Were Silent)

7 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

you brought back a memory to me...when i was a little girl watching my daddy work around the house, he'd let me be in tow (i would hand him his tools and sometimes he'd let me use the hammer or screw in the nail).
While I was watching, he was busy teaching me REAL things...useable things that I remember to this day.
After he'd finish his work, wherever we were, he'd reach in his front shirt pocket for his PallMalls...pull his stainless steel liter out, and I vividly remember the sound of it clicking open and watching him cover the cigarette from the wind. (just like in your story...)
There would be a big puff of smoke as he lit up ... naturally it would surround his head and his face would krinkle up with a squint until he blew out that first puff.
Now, I know smoking is definitely NOT the thing to be doing...but it was a part of my Daddy that I will never forget because to me it was uniquely him...he's definitely the only "smoky" smelling person I ever wanted to hug...but nothing beat his hugs or when I would get to sit on his shoulder and rub my hand back and forth over his crew cut afte he had just gotten it trimmed...it felt like a wonderfullly soft boar's hair brush...I could play with it forever!...
Thanks for bringing those memories back to me!

Peggy said...

Blessings Clif...I LOve Max Lucado and I even love how you retold it until you let his words speak!
Great scripture verse! I'm so thankful I'm among the Chosen and not a cast off! I pray that my labor and harvest will reflect that! Thanks! Enjoy Spiritual Sunday, may you be refreshed & blessed!

michelle said...

This is beautiful...

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Thank-you for a great story on grace I loved it. It goes very well with my post today.
God Bless You Cliff,
Ginger

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Oh Clif, you put a big ol smile on my face...shor feels good to be chosen!

Have a blessed Sonday!
Kathi :)

Joyfulsister said...

Aloha Pastor Clif,
First I want you to know that your comment on my blog made me smile. I normally don't write long posts, but when it came to this post it was hard to put what I wanted to say in a short post lol. But I'm glad you hung in there till the end, and I am so blessed to have a Minister such as yourself to stop by and share your heart with me.

God Bless Lorie

God Chaser said...

It is feels more than good to be chosen. To be chosen by God feel more than wondeful. Thanks for sharing