GO TO CHURCH. YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

A man and his wife had just moved into their retirement home. The first Sunday after they moved in they decided to forsake an old habit and not go to church. Instead they took a long morning walk, and then they decided to take a shower before going out to breakfast. While her husband was in the shower, the wife sat on the screened-in- porch and read. As she was sitting there a snake crawled across the floor. She screamed for her husband. Girding a towel about his loins and arming himself with a broomstick, he went forth like Sylvester Stallone to dispatch the unfortunate monster.

The snake beat a hasty retreat under the sofa. He poked the broomstick around to drive it out into the open. All the noise awoke the family dog and he came in to see what was going on. The dog touched his wet nose to the exposed backside of the stooped-over husband. The husband assumed the snake had crawled out and had bitten him. He jumped up, grabbed the spot, emitted a strangled cry of horror and fainted dead away.

The wife assumed that the excitement had caused him to have a heart attack and she called 911. The paramedics arrived promptly, resuscitated the husband, and gave him an injection to calm him. Then they placed him on a stretcher to carry him to the ambulance.
As they picked him up the snake crawled across the foot of one of the paramedics. When this happened he jumped and tripped over an end table. He dropped his end of the stretcher and fell on the husband, breaking his leg.

The moral of this story is that going to church on Sunday mornings can save you a lot of trouble.

(Adapted from a story told by John William Smith in his book My Mother’s Favorite Song)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what. I think I'll go to church in the morning. Do you want to go with me? (Smile) It could save us a lot of trouble.
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Let's all be sure to go and worship our ONE TRUE GOD. Thanks for sharing this funny story and reminding us all to go to church.
Blessings-

Cherdecor said...

This was so funny that I had my husband read it. He laughed and said, "Amen brother!"

michelle said...

hahahahahaha...

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Oh Clif...what a funny yet gentle reminder we need to go to our house of worship! You are such a blessing!

Kathi :)

God Chaser said...

Thanks Cliff this was funy and a great reminder to all it is more blessed to be in church on sunday Mornings

Technonana said...

What a great story!!! I'm going to recommend it to some folks I know!!! Still laughing!!!

SmilingSally said...

lol I went to church last night, but maybe I should go again this morning.

Joyfulsister said...

ROFL .. lol I love it.. okay I'm getting dressed and heading out the door..

Byeeeeeeeeeeeee

**Caleb** said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bp said...

Sorry I was logged in with my blog for my son's blog so I deleted it!

I enjoyed that funny story! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I was there. Really. And especially after reading this, I'll be back next Sunday. :)

bp said...

Thank you for your comments on my memory verse. I would enjoy learning what you found out about the word careless if you wwant to share. God bless you this week!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

OKAY, How did you know I missed today? I will be there next Sunday for sure!
Ginger

Skoots1moM said...

thanx for coming by...
hey, i can send C the recipe...and it would be really easy to replace all the sugar with Splenda, and then it wouldn't be quite so sinful...ha ha

sunday school was good...we're reading a bruce feiler book, Where God was Born, and it is really giving us some great discussions...people are digging in their Bibles, yeeeeaaaahhh!