LEARNING TO ATTEND TO PEOPLE

Saturday, October 25, 2008

The work of love is the work of paying attention. Love notices. Love listens. Love remembers. When is her birthday? What kind of coffee does he like? What is his favorite movie? Love is in the details.

Deborah Tanner writes a wonderful story about her great-aunt: For many years her aunt was a widow but then in her seventies she had a love affair. Obese, balding, her hands and legs misshapen by arthritis, she did not fit the stereotype of a woman romantically loved. But she was—by a man, also in his seventies, who lived in a nursing home but occasionally spent time with her. In trying to tell what this relationship meant to her she told of an evening when she had dinner out with friends. When she returned home her male friend called and she told him about the dinner. He listened with interest and asked her, “What did you wear?” When she told this, she began to cry: “Do you know how many years it’s been since anyone asked me what I wore?”

When she said this, she was saying that it had been years since anyone cared deeply—intimately—about her.

If you want to do the work of God, pay attention to people. Notice them. Especially notice the people nobody else notices. When you pay attention to someone, when you focus totally on them, you say, “You are the most important thing in my world right now.”

God pays close attention to us. Even the hairs of are head are numbered. God notices things your mother has never even thought about. And when we live in the love of God, we begin to pay attention to people the way God pays attention to us.

(Selected and adapted from John Ortberg’s splendid book, Love Beyond Reason)

12 comments:

Joyfull said...

This was a beautiful reminder with practical ways to love one another. I loved it! Thanks for sharing and being a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Clif. I appreciate both the reminder to pay attention to others and the reminder that God pays close attention to us. Blessings on your Sunday! :)

Kate said...

How tender and sweet!

bp said...

Thank you for sharing this. I really like this:
Love notices. Love listens. Love remembers.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post on how we are to love. Lord God help us all to walk in Your kind of love.
1 Cor 13, it is so easy with Jesus.
Blessings-

Song-The Rivers of Babylon
First time I have heard, I really liked it. All your posted songs are so uplifting-thanks:)

Ruthie said...

Thanks for the post. So true.

Thanks for coming by. I have posted some Spiritual Sunday-like posts, but just didn't happen to be on Sundays, so didn't log in. :)

Have a wonderful Sunday.
Blessings.

SmilingSally said...

Spot on! Neglect is the opposite of love, and we all need/want more love in our lives. Happy Spiritual Sunday!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good Morning Clif,

Your words this morning really hit me, since becoming a Christian I have tried to just as you've written: When you pay attention to someone, when you focus totally on them, you say, “You are the most important thing in my world right now.” but sometimes I just fall short. At many times in my life I need gentle reminders, I want to thank you for that today.

Blessings to you & your family,
Kathi :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I got excited about this post. By nature, I am very much like this. I am always looking for the overlooked and, because I am so outward, I am always asking questions, getting people to talk about themselves. I have learned so much about their passions and their history! I love seeing their continence change and the joy well in their lives as someone pays attention. Wonderful post as I head off to conduct a Sunday Service at an assisted living home!

Huge hugs, KJ

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

What a great post. To some people this does not come easy.I always hope to be this kind of person. I always try to say hello and ask how there doing.The last couple of years I have been trying so hard to become a better listener. There is a art to listening. When I talk to someone and I know there listing I feel like they care. like someone feels when someone pays attention to them.
Thank-you,
Ginger

Joyfulsister said...

Happy Sunday Pastor Clif..
This is such an important reminder not just with us as adults, but with our little ones and teens. I am part our youth program activities and alot of the kids in my class which consists of a lot of kids from broken homes, just long for someone to say something loving to them because they do not get it from home. Just to say how special they just brings the biggest smiles upon their faces.

Blessings Lorie

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This would be a good story to tell at a wedding! Or for marriage counselors to give out!!

Katherine
Power of Prayer blog