THE JESUS WAY

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dr. Barry Asmus, senior economist for the National Center for Policy Analysis, is a member of the church where Charlotte and I attend. He is a sought after speaker, one of the top five in the country, and he speaks at our church occasionally. The last time he spoke there he highly recommended the book, The Jesus Way, written by Eugene Peterson.


My daughter is an omnivorous reader and she immediately bought the book and began to read. After a few weeks had passed I inquired about the book and told her I would like to borrow it when she had finished reading it. She said, “You won’t have to borrow it, I’ll give it to you. I just can’t get into it.” So I gladly accepted her gift with a big smile on my face.


I was not disappointed. This is one of the best books I have read in 2008.


I now feel the need to clarify something. My daughter’s reaction to this book got me to thinking. In yesterday’s blog I recommended Guard Us, Guide Us by J.I. Packer and Carolyn Nystrom. My daughter called up and said she wants to read it. The thought keeps running through my mind, “My daughter, the reader, may not like this book either.” What I am thinking is that what a retired minister likes and what the rest of you like may not be the same.


So here I go recommending another book, and you may not like it at all. So let me just say, “Check it out. I like it a lot and want you to read it. But I want you to examine it first and then buy it if you want to." I agree with Scot McKnight who said, “No one simply reads or, worse yet, skims Peterson. One ponders Peterson.So if you are into pondering, this is the book for you.


Happy reading!

1 comments:

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Clif, have you read "The Shack"? I let somebody talk me into buying this book, she was raving about it. I haven't read it yet, but am taking it with me on our trip. I've heard raves, and I've seen frowns when it's mentioned.

Katherine
P.S. - I love the 1948 picture of you and Charlotte!