LOVE ONE ANOTHER

Saturday, December 06, 2008

(The following story is told by Dr. Richard Selzer from an incident in his practice of medicine. I read it in James Emery White’s excellent book, Life-Defining Moments)


I stand by the bed where a young woman lies, her face post-operative, her mouth twisted in palsy, clownish. A tiny twig of the facial nerve, the one to the muscles of her mouth, has been severed. She will be thus from now on…to remove the tumor in her cheek, I had to cut the little nerve.


Her young husband is in the room. He stands on the opposite side of the bed…The young woman speaks.


“Will my mouth always be like this?” she asks.


“Yes” I say, “it will. It is because the nerve was cut.”


She nods, and is silent. But the young man smiles.


“I like it,” he says. “It is kind of cute.”


…Unmindful, he bends to kiss her crooked mouth, and I so close I can see how he twists his lips to accommodate to hers, to show her that their kiss still works… I hold my breath and let the wonder in.

13 comments:

Charlotte said...

Good post. I love the one from yesterday too.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

A touching story of true love! Thanks for sharing it Clif.

Blessings,
Sandi

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Unconditional love!

Katherine

Ms.Daisy said...

Clif,
What a beautiful story, thanks.



~Jean

God Chaser said...

A lovely story-thanks for sharing

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good Morning Clif,

Your posts are always full of wonderful life illustrations, they always make me think and give thanks to our Lord, thank you, I am truly blessed :).

Have a wonderful Sonday,
Blessings,
Kathi :)

SmilingSally said...

Awww.

Anonymous said...

So good! My pastor's daughter in law, Katherine Wolf had a stroke earlier in the year, her precious husband Jason has shown this kind of love toward his beautiful wife. Read about their journey and pray for them.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katherinewolf

Joyfull said...

Beautiful story about how love sees the heart and overlooks things not so important.

Peggy said...

Blessings Clif...This certainly speaks of the great love of this young couple. How wonderful how God can use the simple things like a smile or the necessity of a surgery that alters life as we know it to confound our normal thinking and brings us to an understanding of how great and awesome is His Love!

That's what this season is about!
May your heart and hearth reflect this Reason for the Season as you both draw closer to Him & His love!
I know that you and Char share this beautiful love & that too is a LOVE Story of another kind! Thanks for sharing this and your precious ministry! Enjoy your Spiritual Sunday!

Shimmy Mom said...

AWWW, true love. What a beautiful story. It gave me goose bumps. Thanks for sharing.
*hugs*

Femin Susan said...

Hi………
Absolutely fantastic post! Good job!
Great! Keep writing…….
Good week……… Welcome to my blog…….

Merry Christmas and happy New year.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Unconditional Love!

God Bless,

Ginger