SHARED SENTIMENTS

Saturday, December 20, 2008

(I want to use my space today to share with you a touching, heartwarming story I read in my wife’s November/December issue of Victoria magazine. This is not religious, just an example of remembering others and caring.)


My Son, Peter, and I have always shared a warm and happy relationship. As a single mom, it was important to me that we have our own family traditions. One of our most cherished rituals is exchanging stockings, just the two of us on Christmas morning. He and I would make a little game of sneaking around in the middle of the night to fill each other’s stocking. When he was 20, he moved into an apartment of his own, and though he was only across town, it signified the end of a chapter in our lives. It was bittersweet for both of us. That year, Peter spent Christmas Eve with his fiancée’s family. Although I would see him the next day, I felt an emptiness that nothing could fill. I spent the evening with my sister, and we ended the festivities earlier than usual. I went home and went to bed feeling a little sad.


The next morning, I awoke early. As I was walking down the hall, something in the dining room caught my eye—something that hadn’t been there before. As I walked over for a closer look, I promptly burst into tears. There was my stocking overflowing with little wrapped packages and a card that read, “You didn’t think I’d forget, did you, Mom? Love, Peter.” He had sneaked into the house at 2:30 a.m.! I swear I felt my heart actually contract with emotion. We laughed later when he told me how long it took to ease open the front door so that I wouldn’t hear the bells on it. I’ll always hold that Christmas memory close to my heart. Coleen Hopkins, Redmond Washington

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so good. Victoria has a lot of good stuff. This is one of the best.
Charlotte

SmilingSally said...

That's a tearjerker.

Cherdecor said...

That was a tearjerker for sure!
Thanks for posting it!
Cheryl

Kelly said...

What a sweet story! I would hope that we would all have such relationships with our children. Thanks for sharing this, Clif.

God Chaser said...

You always share such beautiful stories. Thanks and have a wonderful Cristmas

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Such a sweet story, I hadn't read it in my Victoria - yet.

Katherine

Judith said...

What a wonderful story - thanks for sharing it today. Judith

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Okay I need to wipe my tears off of my face! I do not get Victoria magazine any more but stories like this make me want to go buy it. Thank-you,
Ginger
P.S. I changed my post a bit this morning. But I'm sure God new I was talking about you as well. But never the less I went back and adding men in my prayer. You are the back bone to our Spiritual Sundays Thank-you so much.
God Bless,
Ginger

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

What a beautiful story Clif, I look forward to each week to see what you will post. I am truly blessed by your words of wisdom. I try to take something and apply it to my own life. Wouldn't it be wonderful if every Mother and child could have such an incredible relationship as in this story.

Christmas Blessings,
Kathi :)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Merry CHRISTmas Clif,
What a touching story! I love stories like that, and I always look forward to the gems of wisdom you share with us each Sunday. Thank you for that, and for the wonderful kinship you and your lovely wife Charlotte have shown me since I became a part of the blogging world.

Christmas blessings,
Sandi

michelle said...

wow! that made me cry too. :-)

Gone said...

Good Morning...I'm visiting from Kathi's blog.

What a lovely and sweet story! Thanks for sharing it.

~Christmas Blessings,
Jan & Tom

Carrie said...

Wonderful story...family love is everything!

Gone said...

Hi Clif...

Thanks for stopping by...

If you ever have a prayer request or need, we host Come to Jesus and Pray on Tuesdays. It's a combination of prayer requests, praise reports and a Devotion. Even if you do not have a request or need...stop by and pray for the others, please.

~Blessings,
Jan