IN SPITE OF ALL THEIR LOVE

Saturday, February 07, 2009

In spite of all the love that David and his wife gave their son, he seemed incapable of loving back.
A noted psychologist told them, "Before he's eighteen, your son will either be in jail or dead."

His teen years were the worst years of their lives. His rebellion brought them before the authorities of every educational, penal, and mental institution in the area. He was in and out of almost every counselor's office, every jail, every drug and alcohol rehab center.

Although David had always lived a Christian life he got to the point where he withdrew from everything, everybody and even God. Besides his wife, the one other person who walked with him during these desperate times was a close friend named John. One day David looked at John and said, "I don't want to hear one more come-to-Jesus miracle. Save your stories for someone who cares."

During the darkest days, five friends met David at a chapel for a "prayer intervention." And every Friday for a year and a half, they met at that chapel and prayed. This helped but not enough for David. He went to the chapel one cold night to sit in prayer and wait God out. After reading a while, journaling a while, praying a while, he said he heard God speak.

God said, "If I never heal your son, if I never speak to you the way you want...can I still be your God? Will you still love me, still honor me, still serve me?"

Tears streamed down David's face. "Yes," he said. "Even if you never heal my son, even if you never speak to me in the way I want you to...yes, you can still be my God. And yes, I will still love you, still honor you, still serve you."

(Edited to fit this space from Ken Gire's marvelous book, The North Face of God)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

fantastic!

Cherdecor said...

A very thought provoking post. I have never heard of the book The North Face of God, but it sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

Surrendering-

Thanks, Brother Clif for posting a most wonderful post, I will meditate upon it.

Bless You,

Sue said...

What an inspiring story,I really enjoy Spiritual Sunday,I get to have all this wonderful spiritual food, not to mention this beautiful music that I am so enjoying!!!!
Blessings,
Sue

Ms.Daisy said...

How wonderful! It gave me goosebumps!


~Jean

God Chaser said...

Wonderful, really inspiring and very thought provoking. thank you for sharing. Blessing, peace, joy and love

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

How thankful I am that we serve that kind of God. Your music is beautiful too. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW! Cliff that is a book I should of read a long time ago.
Ginger

Dixie said...

Clif.. your post touched my heart. Several years ago something happened in my life that made me very angry with God. I went to confession, and then visited with my priest. Father Adolpho's words of wisdom settled my pain. He told me that we can only really be angry with someone we love and have a good relationship with. The fact that I had been angry with God, and even yelled at God, was proof of my deep relationship with Him. I will never forget those words, and I will always be grateful to Father Adolpho for reminding me how much I truly Love God.
Thank you for sharing this story.
Dixie

SmilingSally said...

I see a parallel to Job. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday

michelle said...

wow! This is along the same lines of a post I wrote Saturday in relation to a question from The Internet Cafe... Awesome!

Ruthie said...

Whew! Great story - brings tears to my eyes. My Grandmother prayed for my Dad to be a preacher and died when he was 10 years old. My Dad accepted the Lord at 21 yrs. of age, and went to CHina as a missionary. Her prayers were answered 11 years after her death. So God is God always!!

Anonymous said...

It is definitely our faith that assures us that God is our God - even when he answers our prayers in ways we can't understand.

I am sitting here with a big smile on my face. Why? Because I just realized you are Clif and Charlotte. I never knew. I just love Charlotte!

Lois Christensen said...

Love your post. Thanks for sharing it and for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!