REAL LOVE

Saturday, February 14, 2009

For the past two days I have posted about Valentine's Day and this morning my post was in a lighter vain and kind of silly. Now I want to be more serious but not morbid. I just want us to place great value on those we love.

SHOULD YOU GO FIRST

Should you go first and I remain
To walk the road alone,
I'll live in memory's garden, dear,
With happy days we've known.
In Spring I'll watch for roses red
When fades the lilac blue,
In early Fall when brown leaves call
I'll catch a glimpse of you.

Should you go first and I remain
For battles to be fought,
Each thing you've touched along the way
Will be a hallowed spot.
I'll hear your voice, I'll see your smile,
Though blindly I may grope,
The memory of your helping hand
Will buoy me on with hope.

Should you go first and I remain
To finish with the scroll,
No length'ning shadows shall creep in
To make this life seem droll.
We've known so much of happiness,
We've had our cup of joy
And memory is one gift of God
That death cannot destroy.

Should you go first and I remain,
One thing I'd have you do;
Walk slowly down that long, lone path,
For soon I'll follow you.
I'll want to know each step you take
That I may walk the same.
For someday, down that lonely road,
You'll hear me call your name.

Albert Rowswell

15 comments:

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This is sad, but sweet. I don't want to think about life without my sweetheart!

Katherine

Sue said...

Cliff,
I so look forward to what you will post for Spiritual Sunday, and I am always blessed!!
I heard this once before and was so touched by it, thank you for allowing me to read it again. I so enjoy your music again.
Blessings,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Perfect!

SmilingSally said...

I don't look at death as morbid; furthermore, as I age, I think of how death will separate me from Johnny. I would hate to be the one left.

Ruthie said...

Good poem. Brings tears to my eyes. It's so true - but we all hate to think of being separated from our life's partner...even tho' we know it is only temporary.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

What a beautiful poem and touching poem!
Ginger

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

A beautiful poem Clif, yet it tugs at one's heart. For those of us blessed to have our life long partner it is a reminder that one day we will be faced with these very thoughts.

Have a wonderful Sonday!
Kathi :)

Mevely317 said...

That's a sweet one!
For some reason, it brought to mind a dear old book by Margaret Banister, "Tears Are For The Living."
...yes, they are.

Myra

Cherdecor said...

That is a wonderful poem, but it does bring the tears. You have surely taken us from one extreme to the other this weekend! Ha! Ha!

Betty said...

Cliff, this is a beautiful poem. We have a lady in our church who is 65 years old and dying of cancer. I would love to copy this off and give it to her husband right now, but I am not sure it would be the right thing to do.

You asked me if I am a member of the Church of Christ. Now does my 'Spiritual Sunday' posting for today sound like I may belong to the Church of Christ? Well, it so happens I do and am very proud of it.

This was in one of our preacher's prior sermons and was put in our church bulletin last week. I thought about posting it on my blog and turned it over and over in my mind before doing so as I figured I would either get no comments or else I would get some flack from some folks about it. I finally decided that I should go ahead and post it. After all, why not use my blog to spread the Word, at least part of the time, like on Sundays. That doesn't mean anyone has to agree with me just because it is what I believe to be the truth.

Blessings to you,
Betty

Betty said...

Thank you for your comments, Cliff. I'll just copy the poem you posted and save it for Sandra's husband when the time comes, which I feel won't be long. The cancer is all over her body and spreading rapidly.

Also, thank you for telling me to never be afraid to post for I know to be the truth. I'll think of you the next time I have thoughts of being backward about things of this nature.

I didn't realize you are the husband of my blogging buddy, Charlotte. She's a real sweetie, but you already know that.

Lois Christensen said...

What a lovely and yes sad poem. I lost my dad last May and the words are so true. Thanks for sharing!!

Saleslady371 said...

When you've been married long, you think about things like this. It is 37 years for me. I like this poem and feel like crying. A good cry is good once in a while!

God Chaser said...

Very very nice thanks so much for sharing. Real love indeed. Blessings, peace, joy and love.

Dixie said...

Clif... beautiful poem... and it brought tears to my eyes... the poem along with the music... a perfect compliment to my post (finally posted today).. I hope you don't mind, I'm making your post my featured post this week. Thank you for such a lovely sentiment... blessings. Dixie