TREASURES

Saturday, February 21, 2009

The boys of today may not carry the same things in their pockets that we did when we were boys but all us who are parents and grandparents can identify with the following poem. Somebody probably has or should write a similar poem for what girls have in their pockets, purses or wherever girls put “stuff.” I wanted to post this today because it is about our treasures—our precious boys and girls, regardless of age and what they have in their pockets.


His overalls hung on the hook by his hat, and I noticed

his pockets were bulging out fat.

So I emptied them out in a pile on the chair, and I

Tenderly touched ev’ry treasure with care:


There were three rubber bands, a parking lot ticket,

Two paper clips and a fishing cricket,

A camphor ball and an empty match box,

A half dozen nails and a couple of rocks,

A yellow golf tee, two lollypop sticks,

A marble, a spool and three tooth picks,

A knife and a pencil, some dry corn silk,

A wire and a cap from a bottle of milk,

A rusty door key and a white chicken feather,

An old clock gear and a piece of leather,

A flash-light bulb and three or four strings,

A broken dog biscuit and two hair springs.


Then I gathered them up, all his “treasures” so grand—

ev’ry rock, ev’ry nail and each rubber band,

And I put them all back, then I kissed him good-night,

and he smiled in his sleep as I turned out the light.

And I thrilled as I thought of the fun and the joy such

trivial things could give to a boy.

Author Unknown

19 comments:

Ruthie said...

That's a great poem...so typical of little boys. Thanks for the post.

God Chaser said...

The things we treasure. Cute

bp said...

Awww, I've never read this! Great poem about little treasures for little boys.

SmilingSally said...

lol I remember saving a blue tail feather that my pet parakeet shed. I kept that feather for years!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

That's a sweet poem. I had two girls, but now have three grandsons!

If this poem were written today, I wonder what they would have in their pockets these days??

Katherine

Cherdecor said...

Alan said when he was a kid, he always kept things in his pockets, but he never kept that many things in his pockets. Ha! Ha!

Ms.Daisy said...

Sweet, sweet poem and memories. We may not have collected the same things, but girls had their treasures too!

~Jean

Dixie said...

I love the poem Clif... but I had all girls... I do have 2 grandsons, not sure what they keep in their pockets... my youngest did give me a pretty rock from his pocket a couple years ago... it sits on my windowsill in my office... I look at it every day...

thanks for the reminder... and the blessing. Dixie

kymber said...

Hi Clif,
That was beautiful! It made me remember my children when they were young and the treasures that they held dear. My daughter used to keep worms in her pockets - she called them her friends. One day her "friends" went through the washing machine - lets just say that worms don't look quite the same once they have been through the wash cycle :-)

I am so glad that you stopped by to visit me and comment a few weeks ago. I am sorry it has taken me a bit to respond. I love to get to know new people through their writings, and I am so glad to have found yours! I look forward to reading more of your words in the future!

You mentioned something when you stopped by - what is "Spiritual Sunday" and how can I participate?
Blessings on your day today,
Kymber

kymber said...

OOPS!
Sorry Clif - I found the link on your sidebar. I look forward to participating in this - thanks for telling me about it.
Blessings,
Kymber

Anonymous said...

We girls would most likely add chocolates- As Forrest Gump says-- "Life is like a box of chocolates - You never know What yer gonna get!" Much like life !
Enjoyed the poem and Spiritual Sunday!
Karyl(Carol)

Mevely317 said...

Oh, I have to share this with my own "little boy" .. now 39 y.o.!

I do hope someone "steps up" and volunters to pen a like-kind poem for little girls?!

Have yourselves a beautiful day!

Myra

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This poem touches my heart dearly since I have two grandsons. For some reason it makes me think of how fast our children and grandchildren grow up. As they get older the things in their pocket change.
Thank-you for this great poem,
Ginger

Joyfull said...

I loved this poem, especially since I have three sons, boys hold a special place in my heart. The treasures they find are truly a wonder. Thanks for sharing.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a heart touching poem! I raised three boys and now am blessed with four grandsons; the youngest is five months old and is now visiting with his grandparents. I love little boys of all ages, and they all hold a special place in my heart. Three of them are now grown but I still recall pockets full of treasures and a few surprises too. Thanks for the memories! Have a wonderful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Betty said...

What a neat poem. Yes, it would be interesting to see what's in a little girl's pockets.

Skoots1moM said...

oh, so sweet...i was waiting for you to add what you had in your pockets :)

Saleslady371 said...

Great poem! Have a good Sunday.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Just stopping by to say thank you to you and Charlotte for your sweet prayers!

Katherine