OKAY, FINE; NOW WHAT?

Saturday, March 07, 2009

In her book, Work in progress An Unfinished Woman"s Guide To Grace, Kristin Armstrong writes:"When we think about the grace we have in Christ, and how many times He has forgiven us, it is easier to extend that grace to someone else." She goes on to ask, "Once you have made the whopping, life-altering choice to forgive, then what?"

She said, "It was not easy for me to let go of my ex-husband, whom I now lovingly refer to as my wasband because "ex" sounds so mean and crossed-out.This cracks my kids up. When we were in the midst of our yuck in 2003, my life-long friend Peggy told me something I will never forget. She said, "You know, sweetheart, things seem rough right now, but this will pass. Let me tell you something: one day you will be sitting in church, side by side at Luke's First Communion, smiles on your faces, happy to be together. Mark my words." I wanted to mark her face at the moment, but guess what? On May 10, 2008, Luke made his First Communion. Lance and I were sitting side by side, smiling, Grace and Bella were on our laps. Our families were sitting together. Peggy, Luke's godmother, winked at me. I cried. Later that morning, ten beloved people were crowded around my kitchen table that seats four, eating lunch together."

(Lance Armstrong is known by cycling people around the world because he has won seven Tours de France. His exwife, Kristin is not as well known but she is loved and respected by many. Although her book was written mainly for women, I thorougly enjoyed it and learned a lot. I will be hosting a book giveaway for her book next week on my blog. Check back and sign up.)

12 comments:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

It is indeed a big "then what?"
I've been there and forgiving others can be very difficult, but even after you do it, it's hard to figure what exactly is suppose to happen next. I'm in the process of learning that now.

By the way, I LOVE the photos of you & Charlotte on your sidebar; how neat to have that photo of y'all together as kids! ♥

God Chaser said...

As always Cliff thanks for your sharing this week. Sounds like a great book. Be blessed with the joys of the Lord this SS

SmilingSally said...

This is a book that I enjoyed. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Saleslady371 said...

What an encouraging post. Forgiveness is so hard but this shows the hope of circumstances changing. Have a great Sunday!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This sounds like a good book. I'm glad you enjoy it.
Ginger

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Sounds like a good read. Forgiveness is so freeing and brings healing. Jesus told us to forgive or our Father in heaven would not forgive us. It is a commandment but it is also for our own sakes. Sometimes it is also very hard but we must do it or suffer the consequences. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi

Dixie said...

While reading your post, I forgot I was reading YOUR blog... must have been a really great post!
blessings. Dixie

Julie said...

I have struggled with un-forgiveness...
but.. about 2 Sundays ago...I was set Free from it!
I traveled to see my mother, that I have not seen in 5 years...due to un-forgiveness!
There was such a load lifted and a freedom..I can't even explain!
We have wiped the slate clean and are renewing are relationship!
Praise the Lord...julie

Anonymous said...

Hello Clif, thanks for your visit and comment. I too, have enjoyed reading your post today. It is a happy ending and I'm all for that.

Have a blessed day.

Jeanne

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Pastor Clif..
I have missed you!! Wow this sounds like a great book to read, I will check back to enter your give away, thanks for blessing me once again with your visit. I was not feeling well and my hubby as well, but God is faithful and we do feel better.

Hugz Lorie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing-- I listen to the bitter side of divorced females and never know what to say -- ask them what they saw in their x-husband in the first place and they cannot tell you.
I have never been married and no children so is hard to show mercy to such bitterness in divorced women. Glad someone wrote a book!
Another book is "When you've been wronged" moving from bitterness to forgiveness by Erwin Lutzer. Thanks for sharing!!!
Karyl(Carol)

Melly said...

Hi!!

Thank you for your post as someone that struggles with unforgiveness from time to time I believe this book would be great to get and read.

Thanks again :)

Melly:)