NO WONDER THEY CALL HIM THE SAVIOR

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The thoughts in this post are borrowed and edited from Max Lucado's book, No Wonder TheyCall Him The Savior. This is my favorite of all of Max's books.

"I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise" Luke 23:43.

The only thing more outlandish than the request was that it was granted. He who deserved hell got heaven. What, for goodness' sake was Jesus trying to teach us? What was he trying to prove by pardoning this strong-arm, who in all probability had never said grace, much less done anything to deserve it. Jesus chose him to show us what he thinks of the human race. We are valuable in his sight.

We say that you are valuable if you can slam-dunk a basketball or snag a pop fly. You are valuable if your are pretty, if you can produce, if your name has a "Dr." in front or Ph.D on the end of it. You are valuable if you have a six-figure salary and drive a foreign car.

Jesus' love for us does not depend on any of this. Not at all. In the eyes of the King, you have value simply because you are. Period.

I smile because I don't deserve his love. None of us do. And it makes me smile to think that there is a grinning ex-con walking the golden streets who knows more about grace than a thousand theologians. No one else would have given him a prayer. But in the end that is all that he had. And in the end, that is all it took.

NO WONDER THEY CALL HIM THE SAVIOR.

15 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a great post. I really enjoy Max Lucado's writings! Thank you for sharing it. Have a wonderful Easter.

Blessings,
Sandi

Ruthie said...

Amen. Great post.
Blessings.

Charlotte said...

This is my favorite Max Lucado book too. I never tire os hearing the unique way he tells these truths.
Charlotte

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That is my favorite Max Lucado book, too, out of all of them. Thanks for sharing this. Like Charlotte says, I never tire of reading the wisdom this book contains. Probably because I never get tired of hearing about Jesus! :-)

Happy Easter!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Ms.Daisy said...

Thank you Clif for another great post! Max Lucado has a way of making his point so crystal clear!


He is Risen Indeed!

Happy Easter,
Jean

Sue said...

Cliff, One word AWESOME!!!'
Blessing,
Sue

God Chaser said...

I knew you would post something wonderful for this celebration we call Easter. Blessings and thank you.
Know Wonder We call Him SAVIOR!
Willnette

Saleslady371 said...

His words make me feel so free and accepted by that wonderful unconditional love of Christ. A very special message this Easter Sunday for sure!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW! What a powerful post!
God Bless,
Ginger

Kathy said...

This Lucado book is a favorite of mine as well - I love everything by Lucado! What a message...Kathy

SmilingSally said...

We don't deserve it, but we have it! Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday. I wish you a Blessed Easter as you celebrate our risen Lord.

Decor To Adore said...

We will never be loved more. Happy Easter to you. Be blessed!

Dixie said...

A wonderful post that touched my heart. Thanks as always Clif. I think I'll share this post on my blog this week.. I know you won't mind. I wish you and your beautiful bride all the blessings that Easter brings.
Dixie

Miti said...

I see why that's your favorite. Just reading that little piece makes me wanna be a better me. GOD IS GREAT, INDEED! Thanks for sharing Mr. Cliff.

Cherdecor said...

Cliff, Thank you for this fine post.

Thank you also for your thoughts and prayers for me. God has spared my life and He didn't have to. I thank him so much.

I am going to leave up your site this afternoon so I can hear the music while I rest. It is so peaceful.