READING IS GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

I read many books. And it always makes me a little sad when someone tells me they do not read at all. However, I have never thought that reading was good for my health. But evidently it is.

Researchers at the University of Sussex have determined that the very best way to relieve stress, both physical and mental, is to read a good book.

The researchers found that stress levels and heart rate showed a 68 percent reduction in measurable stress after reading from a book. After achieving a high stress level through exercise and mental tests, just six minutes of reading slowed the heart rate and decreased other measures of physical stress in the muscles. Reading reduced stress to levels even lower than the baseline before the high stress was reached.

Are you ready to read a good book? I can recommend some good ones.

5 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I'm reading a good one now, but since it's a suspense, I doubt if it's lowering my pressure!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Yes, I need to get started reading the forgiveness book you sent me! Just waiting for my eye to clear up more, maybe after Easter!

Katherine

Ms.Daisy said...

Clif,
Maybe that's why I usually end the evening by reading right before sleep...reduces the stresses of the day!
I've always been a reader, even got into trouble in 1st or 2nd grade for reading when I should have been working on my school work!

~Jean

bp said...

I didn't know there was research like this about reading a good book! That's interesting.

bp said...

Oh yeah, I got "The Noticer" yesterday, I read the first chapter already.