ARE ALL THE CHILDREN IN ?

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Do you have children?

If you do, the one thing you are concerned about more than any other--is their salvation.

I recently reviewed Ken Mansfield's book, Between Wyomings, in which he related a story about his mother's concern for him:

My mom prayed for my brother's and my salvation for three decades. She never judged me for my complete rejection of the gospel nor condemned me for my New Age years. She just kept praying for us. She should have passed on from her illnesses long before she did, but she lived on for her boys. As soon as my brother and I were both saved she passed on shortly afterward. ...There is an old song written by Craig Starret, entitled "Are All the Children In," which says it all when it comes to my mom:

When I'm alone I often think of an old house on the hill
Of a big yard hedged in roses where we ran and played at will
And when the nighttime brought us home hushing our merry din
Mother would look around and ask--are all the children in

Well it's been many a year now and the old house on the hill
No longer has my mother's care and the yard is still so still
But if I listen I can hear it all no matter how long it's been
I seem to hear my mother ask--are all the children in

And I wonder when the curtain falls on that last earthly day
When we say goodbye to all of this to our pain and work and play
When we step across the river where mother so long has been
Will we hear her ask a final time--are all the children in

(Although the theme of this post is about the concern of a mother, I realize that fathers are concerned about their children too. I want to wish all fathers a Happy Father's Day!)

15 comments:

Ruthie said...

Happy Father's Day to you.

Saleslady371 said...

I enjoyed this. Happy Father's Day, Clif!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. Happy father's day!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I loved this Cliff, thank-you. I hope that you have a wonderful fathers day.
Ginger

Lisa said...

Thank God for praying parents! Happy Father's Day Clif!

SmilingSally said...

Happy Father's Day Sunday!

Mevely317 said...

Lovely! ... This reminds me of the Good Shepherd, always mindful to bring each member of the flock home safely.

Happy Father's Day!

Ms.Daisy said...

Clif,
This poem made me tear up when I read the phrase, "Are all the children in?" There is just something so poignant about a Mother's and Father's love and about how much our Heavenly Father loves us. I hope your Father's day is a very happy one!

~Jean

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Very touching post, Clif. Thank you for sharing it with us. Happy Father's Day to you and enjoy your Sunday.

Blessings,
Sandi

The Bliss Journey said...

Thank you for stopping by and saying hello. I loved reading your blog, I thought,pondered,laughed and cried, sometimes all at the same time.God bless you.
Kathleen

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

This is wonderful...thank you so much for sharing!!!

I hope you are having a wonderful Father's Day!!!

God bless you!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Valerie said...

Clif that was beautiful. I so enjoyed reading it. Have a Happy Father's Day!!

Cheptoek said...

Thank you for this post. There are those dear to me that I pray for their salvation.

Nihal said...

I think we must thank God that he chose our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents. Let me extend you my best wishes and all joys 'n happiness for Father's Day:)

Kindest~

bp said...

Hope you had a nice Father's Day.

Yes I'm praying for my son's salvation and that he would love the Lord more than anything else.