WATERMELON CAPITOL OF THE WORLD

Thursday, June 18, 2009



Rush Springs, Oklahoma is the watermelon capitol of the world.

Ok! So what?

As a kid growing up in Oklahoma I wanted us to be "something" of the world.

And I love watermelon.

When I was young they had what we called "fruit stands" on the main roads leading in and out of town. I guess they were miniature farmer's markets.

I loved it when they would ask, "Want to plug it.? "Sure." They would pull out a big knife, cut a diamond shape in the melon, turn the knife up and with the blunt end of the knife they would knock the "plug" down into the melon a little ways and then pull it out with the point of the blade. They would hold it up for inspection.

Man oh man. I couldn't hardly wait to get that sucker home and split it down the middle.

Late in the summer trucks would drive down our street selling huge melons for fifty cents a piece.

We got melons into our town from around the state and even Texas.

But we always asked, "Is this a Rush Springs melon?"

After all, Rush Springs is the watermelon capitol of the world!

7 comments:

Dixie said...

Clif... the folks in Stockdale Texas would beg to differ with you on that Watermelon Capital thing... their Watermelon Festival is this month... where they will crown their Watermelon Queen and her court... no kidding... they have a big parade and everything.. it's about 25 miles from us, so we always go to get our fill of Watermelon....

and I'll share a little secret with you if you promise not to tell anyone!!!... sometimes I enjoy my tea unsweetened too... now don't tell anybody... I'll lose my crown as the queen of sweet tea snobs...and we just couldn't have that now, could we?

blessings. Dixie

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

What wonderful memories!
Ginger

Skoots1moM said...

thx 4 coming by...
i LOVE watermelon, too! sitting on the porch on top of laid out newspaper and spitting seeds at each other :)

and you were so right...my heart first went out to the family of the pilot who died on the flight...may they all be comforted.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Good Morning!! Thanks so much for stopping by my humble blog!! I simply love new visitors and men are so unusual to have. I have been blogging for almost 4 years now and just love it. I have met some great people this way.
I have been a Christian for 38 years now!! We attend Savannah Christian here in Savannah.
i loved reading about your watermelon story. I remember so well getting those plugs too!! What fun. Guess we did not know just how much fun it was..Now we just take our chances on a melon at the store.
Come back again.
Sandy

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Hi Clif,
We arrived home Wednesday night (Home Sweet Home!!) I have so much to do and it will take me a while to catch up on blogs, etc.

I remember fruit stands and watermelons being plugged as well, and they always tasted sooo good!

Here in FL we also have a "Watermelon Capital!" It's on the FL/AL state line - Cottondale, FL in the panhandle.

Katherine

P.S. - We brought some fresh peaches back from SC, they are very good, I told my husband they bring back memories of my childhood when we used to go to a fruit stand and buy them!

Ms.Daisy said...

Clif,
My Dad always "thumped" the watermelon, said it had to have just the right sound and that he could tell how ripe it was by the sound! I remember seeing the farmer "plug" the melon and being in awe of "just how did that man do that?" Oh, to be a kid again!
Thanks for the memories.


~Jean

SmilingSally said...

Oh, I remember salivating while the plug was being dug out. Yum!