SMORGASBORD OF STUFF: SOME SERIOUS, SOME SILLY

Friday, September 04, 2009

JULIE & JULIA by Julie Powell --NO REVIEW!
Yes, I did request a copy of this book for review and my contact at the publishing company went out of her way to get me a copy. But no, I am not going to be reviewing it. Why? There is just too much filthy language in it. I'm not even going to read it. I saw the movie and liked it. There was some objectionable things in the movie but not enough to make me scream and go blind. But this book is another story. You may be saying, "Well Clif, isn't this kinda like a review?" Yes, kinda like a review. But not exactly. You don't really want me to tell you what I think about this book! Selah.

SONIC - AMERICA'S DRIVE-IN
Is Sonic America's Drive-In? I don't know. I just know what the sign says. But I do like the place. I really like their hamburgers and extra-long, chili, cheese, conys. And as the weather cools, I like to sit out in the car and have the car hop skate up with our order. Ah, memories of days gone by. I hope you have a Sonic in your city. Every city of any size should have one. Why? Like mother used to say, "Because I said so."


THE BIG APPLE. NOT NEW YORK CITY. BILL JOHNSON'S RESTURANT.
The chicken fried steak covers the plate. Their deep dish pies are on sale for 99 cents. But if you plan to order a pie, don't have the chicken friend steak. You can't eat that much--or your shouldn't.

IF GOD IS GOOD by Randy Alcorn
I have been waiting eagerly for this book on suffering and evil. It's big (512 pages) like his excellent book, Heaven. I didn't agree with everything he wrote in Heaven and I don't agree with everything in this book either. But he is a great writer and both books are excellent. I will be reviewing this new book in a few days.

YOU WERE BORN FOR THIS--7 Keys to a Life of Predictable Miracles by Bruce Wilkinson
This is another splendid book I will be reviewing in a few days. Watch for it.

A MILLION MILES IN A THOUSAND YEARS by Donal Miller Thomas Nelson Publishing had a few free copies of this book. I was fortunate enough to receive one. Miller is the author of Blue Like Jazz that was 40 weeks on the New York Times bestsellers list. I will review the book as soon as I can read it.

HEBREWS--ANCIENT ENCOURAGEMENT FOR BELIEVERS TODAY by Edward Fudge As you might imagine, I have many Bible commentaries. I first started buying them in sets. But as I grew older I learned that many times the best way to buy commentaries is to know the authors and to buy individual commentaries. This commentary on Hebrews by Edward Fudge is a good example of that strategy. This is an excellent, must read commentary if you are interested in the Book of Hebrews and it's message of encouragement. I will review this book as soon as possible.

I think I'm going to take a break and go to a movie this afternoon. A young girl we know has a part in the new movie, All About Steve, starring Sandra Bullock. I hope there's not much bad language in it. Did I tell you I don't like bad language?

8 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Clif...just wanted you to know that my book came yesterday, and I love it! I'm so thankful that you were inspired to do this for us. Thanks for your non-review of Julia-Julia. I don't read that type of book anyway, but had thought about seeing the movie. Just to comment about days gone by...I also loved Mel's Diner when in high school. We would line up in about 6 rows, at least 3 cars deep, and car hops would serve us...it was a wonderful time in my life...also A & W Rootbeer drive-in...we ordered Papa or Mama burges and a foamy rootbeer from the car hops, and they were always so cute and friendly. Good days, perhaps never to be seen again. So hard to explain to my grandchildren what things were like "way back then", without sounding like "when I was a kid, we walked 3 miles in the snow", which, by the way, I did! Thanks for a great post today and the reviews! Mary

Daveda said...

I can't wait to hear how the movie is! Have a great time.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I went to see Julie & Julia a couple of week ago. Unfortunately I had to live about 10 min. into the move. It did seem like I would of enjoyed it. Our younger grandson feel off the couch at our home that day and by that night he was getting sick, He had a concussion so I wanted to be with my daughter. We're going to go see All about Steve tonight at 5:00 so it will still be the discount price. I hope there's no bad language either, and I hope I don't get a phone call after the first 10 minutes. I had my phone on vibrate, there is nothing worse than someones phone going off. I think we will have to make a trip to Arizona soon Sonic sounds pretty good!!!

Enjoy the show,
Ginger

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

I have to agree with you on Sonic. Not sure if it's America's favorite. I miss the days of the old A & W Rootbeer places and we just had our close about a year ago. It was sad to see a piece of history go away.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Mevely317 said...

Hi Clif, Like ya'all, we really enjoyed the Julie/Julia movie ...to the point, I came home and "Googled" the author. 'Went right over to her blog, then poof! ... there went the magic. I was so disappointed - not only in the (unnecessary) language, but in her over-the-top (I thought) political commentary.

'Had to smile along with the "Sonic" piece - instantly, that brought back memories of my first foot-long chili dog at this little hole-in-the-wall spot across the street from McMurry.

Hope you're enjoying this weekend!

Saleslady371 said...

I loved the Julie/Julia movie and am disappointed to hear about the book. I wouldn't read it either. We have a Sonic in Camp Verde. I have never eaten at Chick-Fil-A and hear it's wonderful. Have you; your in the big city. I took an in-depth course in Hebrews (Kay Arthur - Precepts) and our teacher said that the author is unknown. I am curious if Fudge knows.

Ms.Daisy said...

Clif,
Love this! Little bits of this and that!
I saw the movie and liked it even though, as you say, there were some objectionable parts to it.
I loved our A&W Rootbeer stand - way back when.

~Jean

Edward Fudge said...

Saleslady371 (and anyone else who is interested :-) ... WHO WROTE HEBREWS? That is part of an interview you will find, with many other interesting reviews, endorsements, descriptions, pictures (one really cute!) at http://edwardfudge.com/Hebrews.html