THE FRIEND WHO JUST STANDS BY

Thursday, October 29, 2009

When trouble comes your soul to try,
You love the friend who just "stands by."
Perhaps there's nothing he can do--
The thing is strictly up to you;
for there are troubles all you own,
And paths the soul must tread alone;
times when love cannot smooth the road
Nor friendship lift the heavy load,
but just to know you have a friend
Who will "stand by" until the end,
Whose sympathy through all endures,
Whose warm handclasp is always yours--
It helps, someway, to pull you through,
Although there's nothing he can do.
and so with fervent heart you cry,
"God bless the friend who just 'stands by'!"

7 comments:

Beverly said...

This is just lovely. I truly believe one of our main purposes is to make life better for others.

Loren said...

A friend who stands by.....is a gift from the Lord! They are few but they are a treasure!

Thankyou Clif! This is so sweet today :)

Debbie Petras said...

I love this. Too often friends can try to fix things and that isn't necessarily what I want or need. A friend who is there through the good and the bad times is truly a treasure.

Blessings,
Debbie

The Bliss Journey said...

Amen to good friends. We had an unexpected death in our family 2 wks ago. We lost a dear brother and a beautiful soul. It was a loss that we should not have had to endure. We are still trying to make sense out of it all. But some answers will never come until we meet the Lord. My best friend was with me when I got the news. I was in Pa. on vacation and visiting her. She immediately jumped into action. She made us a dinner of comfort foods that we could munch on as family arrived.

Thanks for the reminder that we need to cherish our friends everyday.

Kathleen

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

There are way too few of these types of people in the world and perhaps just the words you wrote here will inspire us all that read them to become just like them.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Cheptoek said...

They are indeed a treasure!

Kelly said...

Hi Cliff,

I feel as though it's been forever since I've visited you, and then the first thing I see is about friends, which I have given a lot of thought to this month, and I did a post on friendship a few days ago.

This is a very nice poem. Did you write it?