FINDING YOUR WAY HOME

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The little girl ran up and down the streets of the big town where they lived, but she couldn't find a single landmark. She was very frightened. Finally a policeman stopped to help her. He put her in the passenger seat of his car, and they drove around until she finally saw her church. She pointed it out to the policeman, and then she told him firmly, "You could let me out now. This is my church, and I can always find my way home from here." (This story is from Ann Lamott's book, Traveling Mercies)

Every church should be the kind of place that we can find our way home from but it is not always that way. And when it isn't it breaks my heart.

1 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

How true this should be for all of us, that church should be the other recognizable place for us besides home and yet it isn't. It merely is just another building.

I wish their was more value placed on church and attendance and participation than merely showing up on Sundays and putting your time in. Yet I believe that churches need to extend themselves out further into the community than what some are doing. Its a sad state of affairs when that happens.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat