THE PRACTICE OF FEELING PAIN

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I have long been convinced that pain brings out the best in people along with the worst.

In years of counseling,the one topic I discussed with people of all ages, was pain.

Barbara Brown Taylor said, "Pain makes theologians of us all."

Those words have stuck with me. I can't get them out of my head.

"PAIN MAKES THEOLOGIANS OF US ALL."

I could go on to tell you what she says about pain and why she thinks it makes theologians of us all.
But I'm not going to. If I did you would just think about it for a while. You would either agree with it or the debate would begin. Her words would give you something to debate.

This way you have only yourself to reason with and that's what I want you to do.

Pain is nonnegotiable. You can try to avoid it. You can deny it. You can numb it and fight it. Or you can engage it and give it your full attention.

Where is God in all of this?

Any ideas?

3 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

Well God gave us pain so that we would know there is something wrong. This is why there are some that can't detect pain that keep right on doing things without the sense of pain to prevent themselves from hurting themselves. I wish I felt it less but I understand why I have it.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Mevely317 said...

I love this sort of question, Clif ... one that provokes a good, long pondering! ('Sense we're not talking just physical pain?)

I certainly give thanks more passionately when the pain subsides, and "normal" feels so sweet.
Then again, someone once wrote, "You hurt -- but at least you feel."

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

Have you read the book where is God when it hurts? Just wondering.. I don't have an answer, but it is indeed comforting to know there are others besides me asking the same question. Thanks!