THE PRACTICE OF WAKING UP TO GOD

Saturday, April 10, 2010

I do some picking and choosing when I go to my holy book for proof that the world is holy too, but the evidence is there. People encounter God under shady oak trees, on riverbanks, at the tops of mountains, and in long stretches of barren wilderness. God shows up in whirlwinds, starry skies burning bushes, and perfect strangers. When people want to know more about God, the son of God tells them to pay attention to the lilies of the field and the birds of the air, to women kneading bread and workers lining up for their pay.

This is wonderful news. I do not have to choose between the Sermon on the Mount and the magnolia trees.

(The above words are not mine. I wish they were but they are not. They are the words of Barbara Brown Taylor from her book, An Altar in the World)

17 comments:

Charlotte said...

So true.

Loren said...

Amen Clif! I love seeing God is HIS Creation....Spring is such a lesson in itself!

Bless you this weekend and thank you for the "follow" on my book blog :)

Saleslady371 said...

They are good words at that!

Renee said...

Thanks Clif...so very true! God bless.

Peggy said...

ohhh blessings Clif and thank you!
Wise words that you chose to share! The Creator in all of His creation and magnified in His Word!

Peace in Christ ~ Peggy at
The Power of Your Love

RCUBEs said...

How can someone deny His existence? People are just afraid to accept the truth...Those flowers look amazing. Blessings.

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

Just what kinds of flowers are those pictured above. Being a desert dweller we don't really have those beautiful blooms!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Clif,
Those blossoms are beautiful and yes, I too love to see His fingerprint in nature and in His Holy Word. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi

Susan B said...

An inspiring quote, and so true. Thank you for sharing it....also the beautiful photo.

LivingforGod said...

His love for us is evident in His creation. I have a photo blog called, "My Father's World" at http://wondersbeyondwords.blogspot.com/ . It's where I share my photos of His creation (wonders beyond words).

Joe Todd said...

My favorite things Fields,Woods,Sea,and Sky..Have a great week

Susan said...

So true. The earth proclaims HIS glory. Love and agree with your opinions!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

PAY ATTENTION! I think that these are pretty important words!Your picture today is beautiful.
God Bless,
Ginger

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Beautiful. That is one of my very favorite things about knowing God and Jesus. When I wonder all I have to do is open my eyes.

Debbie said...

I loved this...It is just soo true. Thank you for the kind words on my post. I "try" to have what I post something that can be a real practical thing that we can apply and relate to our everyday lives as there are a few who read it who I know do not know Him. I am praying that maybe something I might write will point them in that direction. = ) BLESSINGS TO YOU

Cathy said...

I am noticing God's lovely creation more and more every day. I believe it is an age thing. :o) Thanks for your sweet visit.

Rhodema said...

I too find God in nature. He does indeed use His creation to declare His glory. Thank you for sharing from this book. It's a treasure.