MAKING MEMORIES/MOTHERS

Saturday, May 08, 2010

My mother passed away when I was eleven years old. I am now seventy-five. I remember mama!

I want to encourage all young people to make a life of memories with their loved ones. You will miss so much if you do not.

When I hear the words of the song, "The Way We Were" I get all misty eyed.

"Memories...light the corners of my mind..." Those misty, water-color memories flood my mind of days gone by.

Don't just try to pile up memories one day out of the year--do it every day. Family is important!

                                                   A WONDERFUL MOTHER

                                       God made a wonderful mother,
                                       A mother who never grows old;
                                       He made her smile of the sunshine,
                                       And He molded her heart of pure gold;
                                       In her eyes he placed bright shining stars,
                                       In her cheeks, fair roses you see;
                                       God made a wonderful mother,
                                       And He gave that dear mother to me.
                                                                         Pat O'Reilly
         

21 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

I love that poem Clif!

I also love the photo of you and your mother. Very cute!

I so agree with your thoughts. My mom died five years ago and I miss her so much.

Create and cherish memories. Life goes by so very fast.

Blessings,
Debbie

Whidbey Woman said...

So sad to lose your mother at such a young age. Some day you will see her again. What a reunion that will be! Thanks for sharing. Hope you and Charlotte have a wonderful weekend together.

RCUBEs said...

That's a beautiful poem! This is a beautiful reminder not only for Mother's Day but to do the right thing everyday - to love our families and treasure those times with our parents. But there is that special bond that comes only from a sweet loving mother. God bless.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

this is a beautiful memory Cliff. I want my kids to feel this way about me. My own mother used to beat me so bad and call me vile names. When I had my daughters I vowed I would raise them different. I never hurt them...never called them names...I think they're amazing and they say that about me. The difference...Him. Sarah

bp said...

That is a nice poem for mothers. Good advice to make sure we make memories.
Hope you are having a good weekend.
Bethany

Renee said...

Nice post in memory of your mother ~ my mom died just 8 yrs ago at the age of 92...miss her so much too. God bless....Thanks for sharing this with us.

Jane Anne said...

Thanks for this post, Clif. This is my first mother's day since my mom died. I'm misty eyed thinking about her!

God bless you!

Jane

Mevely317 said...

This made me cry, Clif -- but that's a good thing!!! (I, too, get all misty-eyed listening to "The Way we Were.)
Thank you for this caution ... I hope it might change everyday lives ... including mine!

Blessings!
Myra

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

Cliff, I am sorry you did not get to have more memories with your mom! My mom is a 3 time cancer survior I am thankful for everyday I have her!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Your post today brought tears to my eyes.Your advise is a good one. Than-you for sharing this beautiful poem.
Blessings,
Ginger

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

So sad that you lost your mummy at such a very young age.
The positive is, she never grew old, and as you mention, the memories, and enjoying the moment is important. We never know if it may be our last.
The poem is beautiful. Bless you.

A Busy Single Mom said...

Thank you for the reminder to make wonderful memories. Enjoyed the poem as well and the photo.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Beautiful poem, Clif! Thank you for sharing and enjoy this day with your beautiful wife.

Blessings,
Sandi

Sandy said...

Thank you for this very wonderful reminder, Clif!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Love the photo. I wish all of the youngsters of the world could read your advice... not just read it, but take it to heart. I believe technology has just about replaced genuine fellowship with loved ones. We text and share on Facebook and email, but there's nothing like having one-on-one conversations.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Excellent post. It is the small times with our loved ones that we remember the most.

michelle said...

this is so sweet and special! God bless you with wonderful memories to cherish!

Gayle said...

Great picture of you and your mom, and great advice, Clif.

Loren said...

Wow! That is sooo young to lose a parent...I can't even imagine!

So true Clif! I knew immediately when I became a Mother how VERY IMPORTANT it is to make each day precious! I truly treasure my children and am so very thankful for the gift of being a MOM.

Bless you my friend

Karen said...

I loved reading all of this...

The picture is precious....

kanishk said...

I love that poem Clif!
post free classified ads