WISDOM FROM MY FAVORITE "THEOLOGIAN"

Saturday, July 17, 2010

THE FOLLOWING WAS WRITTEN BY ERMA BOMBECK:

Time--November 17, 197l

Time.
It hangs heavy for the bored, eludes the busy, flies by for the young and runs out for the aged.
Time. We talk about it like it's a manufactured commodity that some can afford, others can't, some can reproduce, others waste. We crave it. We curse it. We kill it. We abuse it. Is it a friend? Or an enemy? I suspect we know very little about it. To know it at all and its potential, perhaps we should view it through a child's eyes.

*When I was young, Daddy was going to throw me up in the air and catch me and I would giggle until I couldn't giggle anymore, but he had to change the furnace filter, and there wasn't time."

*"When I was young, Mama was going to read me a story and I was going to turn the pages and pretend I could read, but she had to wax the bathroom, and there wasn't time."

*"When I was young, Daddy was going to come to school and watch me in a play. I was the fourth wise man (in case one of the three got sick), but he had an appointment to have his car tuned up and it took longer than he thought, and there wasn't time."

*"When I was young, Mama was going to listen to me read my essay on 'What I Want to Be When I Grow Up,' but she was in the middle of the Monday night movie and Gregory Peck was always one of her favorites, and there wasn't time."

*When I was older, Dad and I were going fishing one weekend, just the two of us, and we were going to pitch a tent and fry fish with the heads on them like they do in the flashlights ads, but at the last minute he had to fertilize the grass, and there wasn't time."

*When I was older, the whole family was always going to pose together for our Christmas card, but my brother had ball practice, my sister had her hair up, Dad was watching the Colts and Mom had to wax the bathroom, and there wasn't time."

*When I grew up and left home to be married, I was going to sit down with Mom and Dad and tell them I loved them and I would miss them. But Hank (he was my best man and a real clown) was honking the horn in the front of the house so there wasn't time."

14 comments:

Lemon Lane Studio said...

What an important reminder...live life now you never know when you'll run out of time.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

this is a really important reminder....time doesn't wait for any of us. Thanks Cliff for this 'timely' reminder.

Virginia said...

What a wonderful post and so true. Life moves pretty fast so is important to take time for what important.
Sweet Blessings,
Virginia

Elizabeth Dianne said...

One of your favorite "theologians," smile --mine also. I read her for years and did a post about one of her articles sometime back--it was about a mother remenbering at Christmastime--

Erma can say more in 5 minutes than lots of ministers can say in an hour and in that respect, she really is to be admired and because her theology was usually "right on."

Thanks for sharing this awesome "sermon."

Dianne

RCUBEs said...

This is a wonderful reminder bro. Clif because it still rings true! Of how everything seems to be a rush and it's sad when we don't give time for those things that do matter. Have a blessed weekend.

Karen said...

I have been praying for a family member to get back into church and take his children. He always told them, "We don't have time." He took them last Sunday for the first time in three years and he stayed for the service!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Clif, I really enjoyed this post. I need a little of Erma's wisdom and humor tonight. God bless!

Saleslady371 said...

Time sure gets away from us. Priorities better be right!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW! This brought tears to my eyes. I think that this kind of thing happen more than not.
Ginger

Daughter of the KING said...

Funny thing, I was just saying to my husband yesterday how I wish I had spent more time listening to the stories my grandparents wanted to share about their lives. How I wish I had spent more time asking my mother about her family and learning (really learning) about her life. Can't get back yesterday but we can start fresh today. I am determined that my children and grandchildren have good memories of us, that they know us and know of our love for God.

Blessings,
Linda J

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Love Erma's work. This one sorta sticks in your throat and makes you tear up. So poignant and bittersweet.

Karen said...

Erma always seemed to get right to the heart of the matter in a way that made one stop...and think...and realize...the truths written...

This excerpt is no exception...how many times have I used this phrase?

My head is hanging....

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Gulp! Sometimes I think a pastor's family gets the least amount of time from mom and dad, while the congregation gets most of it. In spite of it all, my boys tell me they couldn't have grown up in a more loving home. So, I guess we must have done something right. Still, I wish we had done some things differently. Only one life, t'wil soon be past....Thanks for posting this. One should read it every now and then.

Blessings,
Sandi

Cathy said...

That surely makes us think about our priorities. Thanks, Clif.