RESPECT

Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Treat a man as he is and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he can and should be and he will become as he can and should be." I like these words from German philosopher Johann Goethe. I don't believe that people treated as they should be will necessarily become what they should be. But generally speaking this is a true statement and one I agree with.

I was a preacher for forty-seven years. I would never have become an effective preacher if not for all the people who took an interest in me and treated me with respect. I will always be grateful for all the elderly women who encouraged me and prayed for me. Men encouraged me too but for some reason elderly women were always there cheering me on.

"Some people are born into environments where there is no respect, and often their behavior and personality reflect the void. But sometimes it only takes one person giving them respect to change everything."

I love these words from Stephen R. Covey: "Leadership is communicating people's worth and potential so clearly that they are inspired to see it in themselves."


R E S P E C T! It's such a simple little word but packed with power for good.

2 comments:

Mevely317 said...

This is so good! Heretofore, I assumed (oops!, presumed) that respect must be earned.
I'll have to ponder on this, won't I?

PS - We're headed to the airport soon, so I'll not have an opportunity to participate in Spiritual Sundays ... but look forward to catching up next week!
Blessings to all!

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for grandparents and caregivers said...

Hi, I came for Spiritual Sunday and enjoyed reading other posts as well, including this one.

A lovely tribute for Veteran's Day and a good reminder for all of us, including all of us grandparents involved with activities for grandparents and grandchildren, as we, too have a wonderful opportunity to impact our grandchildren and encourage them in the ways they should go. Thank you for a delightful visit. :)