WHITE BREAD AND BOLOGNA

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Man, I ate a lot of bologna and bread when I was a kid.

Seems like when we didn't have much else we had bologna.

I don't remember grabbing snacks like cookies or potato chips, etc. but I sure remember grabbing one slice of bread and one slice of bologna and continuing "on down the road" with what I was doing.

Of course we had many sandwich meals too. A selection of "cold cuts" would be spread out on the table for lunch and we would calm down, sit down and "build" a sandwich. That's when we did most of our communicating with each other.

I loved bologna. When I worked in a grocery store I helped out behind the meat counter. I liked it when a customer ordered sliced bologna and I would get the big, round tube of bologna out of the case and put it on the slicing machine. I especially liked it when they wanted it sliced thin. I was a strange kid.

My wife doesn't like bologna at all---especially the kind she thinks I try to feed her on occasion. I am also a  strange man. 

I still like bologna but only eat it occasionally. I know this is a betrayal to all things southern---but I don't like white bread anymore. If fact, I haven't eaten any white bread in years. Oh, and I don't like sweet tea either! I know what you're thinking. I have already said I was a strange kid and I am a strange man.

We are getting ready to go to the gym in a few minutes. When we return it will be lunch time.

I will be having one slice of bread and plain tuna. No bologna!

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

I never did like it. I didn't like it when I was a kid. I don't like it now. I'm sure I will never like it. But I'm glad you enjoy it so.

Lori Heyd said...

Hey Cliff, I have memories of bologna and kool-aid in metal glasses. On a hot day that kool- aid did taste good. I eat bologna every once in a while but usually end up eating tuna on whole wheat like you! Many people, like your Charlotte, do not like it at all. I think I eat it to remember my childhood!. Lori

Mevely317 said...

Ooooh yeah, Clif!
I carried a bologna sandiwch (no cheese!) for lunch seems throughout my "teen" years. My mom would carefully butter the bread - but these days I'm partial to mayo.
Come to think of it, it's been TOO long since I've indulged. Oh what the heck ...'tis the season!