CRYING ALL THE WAY HOME

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Most, if not all of us, have been hurt when we were young.

Something happened that broke our heart and it took years if not a life time to get over it.

Dr. Margaret Harrell Wills' father had such an experience. He told her about it. Here's what he said:

"I'm going to tell you a story I've never told before. One Christmas, when I was  a little boy in Black Rock, Arkansas, I walked to the Baptist church at the top of the hill. There was a Christmas Eve service, and all the children were supposed to get a present. I didn't know that the presents has been placed under the tree secretly by the mothers of the children. You know, girls, my mother was just a child when I was born, only fifteen. Dad was eleven years older. He always loved Mother, but when she'd get mad, she would take off. That year, she was gone, taken off somewhere with my two little brothers. Well, anyway, there wasn't any present for me under the tree, and I walked home, crying all the way."


Dr. Wills said she held back her tears for fear of losing it all together. But later she wrote her elderly father a Christmas letter and sent him a gift. She told him his Father heard his sad cry and walked with him all the way home. He didn't see Him or feel Him or know that He was there. She reminded him that over the years God had given him gifts a thousand times over more valuable than any he could find under any earthly tree. She told him that his son and daughters respected and honored him and that God is still loving him and seeing him safely all the way home.

When we are hurt as children we feel that nobody cares and that we are all alone.

God cares and we are never alone.  (Romans 8:38)

(From Pressing Into Thin Places--Encouraging the Heart toward God by Margaret Harrell Wills, EdD  I will be reviewing her book on my blog in a few days.)

14 comments:

Joan Hall said...

This is such a touching story, Clif.

I just returned home from meeting with some high school classmates to plan a class reunion. In the course of the meeting, we discussed how when we were children and picked on others. We didn't intend harm, but some things we carry through life. (A bit different situation from your post, but many kids feel as if they are alone and nobody cares.)

I'm thankful that we do have a Heavenly Father who cares and never leaves us alone.

Blessings,
Joan

Pamela said...

Breaks my heart. So many heartaches children have.

I enjoyed your review of Randy Alcorn's book, too.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a touching story, brother Clif! I sure can identify with it too having been a lonely little girl who always felt misunderstood and unloved by her mother. God bless all the little ones out there who need to know Jesus loves them! Thanks for your visit and your prayers.

Blessings,
Sandi

Gayle said...

Inspiring. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Clif, I want to thank you and Charlotte, and all Spritual Sunday folks, for your prayers. Ron pulled through and we give God the glory.... Happy Spiritual Sunday!

Mevely317 said...

What a priceless gift, that letter! I so hope Dr. Wills' father was healed.
I'm thinking she has given a gift to the child in all of us!
Good evening wishes,
Myra

Joan Davis (Jo) said...

The scars from childhood can last many years. But praise God that He can heal even the deepest wounds! Our Father always cares and His compassion for us is great. His love brings healing.

Thanks for stopping by by blog earlier today and leaving your encouraging comment!

Blessings, Joan

P.S. I love your "Strong Opinions" on your blog sidebar.

Anonymous said...

My mom was an orphan and late in her life shared a similar story. But she also shared many stories of angels along life's way that God put in her life just when she needed them most. I remember the Hospice Chaplain saying at her graveside service that she is no longer an orphan, no longer blind, and no longer in pain. Praise the Lord.
Wishing you and Charlotte a blessed Sunday, Brother Clif.

michelle said...

God is always, always there. thanks!

Saleslady371 said...

A great reminder to me that God sees all that happens to us. What a loving God and Father He is.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

this is a really neat story....and a reminder to me whenever there's a gift circle of some sort...to always make sure there's more than one b/c so no one is left out.

Ruth said...

A beautiful story of how God can bring comfort and healing even many years after a hurt has happened. He knows the right time to give us the needed words.
Blessings to you.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I will never understand why some mothers leave their family. What a wonderful man and the Lord blessed him with wonderful children who love the Lord.
Blessings and Hugs,
Ginger

Jocelyn said...

Clif this is such a touching testimony of God's faithfulness. Thank you for sharing.

Jocelyn @
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com