YES, I LIKE MCDONALDS

Monday, April 30, 2012

The hamburgers I grew up eating in Oklahoma were probably not as good as I thought they were.

But they were awfully good. In my minds eye I can still see them and I can almost taste them.

They were good! But probably not as good as I thought.

As a student at Abilene Christian I discovered that the hamburgers in Texas were also good. However, because I was working and paying my own college tuition, I rarely enjoyed a Texas burger. I took most of my meals in the "Bean" as we lovingly (I guess it was lovingly) called our cafeteria.

After graduation I headed West to save those crazy Californians from the horrors of hell. It took longer than I thought and I ended up staying thirty-two years. (I left before finishing the job. It goes on.)

I ate a lot of hamburgers in thirty-two years. I ate hamburgers from Southern California and Disneyland to San Francisco and Alcatraz.

It was in California in 1957 that I ate my first McDonald's type burger. You know the kind that has mayo and ketchup and some "magic" sauce instead of mustard. No lettuce,tomato or onion.

But I learned to like those "silly" little burgers and I have eaten them all over the place including London, England. The McDonald's I ate at in London was small--very small. And that is the reason for this post.

WAIT FOR IT:

This summer, McDonald's will open its biggest restaurant ever for six weeks during the 2012 London Olympic games.
And by big, we mean big. The place is 3,000 square-meters large (that's about 32,292 square feet) and about half the length of a football field. It'll be staffed by 2,000 people, who are estimated to serve more than 50,000 Big Macs and 180,000 servings of French fries. There'll be seating for 1,500 at a time.

Some day I will return to Oklahoma to see if I can find that "old time" feeling and flavor or find out if it's just all in my head.

1 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Your comment about "not finishing the job" (California) just cracked me up!

The very first McDonald's in N.M. opened not long before my 13th(?) birthday. I SO longed to go there, but everyone said it seemed a "greasy spoon." (Go figure, eh?)

Hope you find that familiar spot in Oklahoma ... and tell us all about it!