A PLACE WHERE MOST PEOPLE EVENTUALLY GO

Saturday, September 21, 2013




CEMETARY (C) IN THE SERIES CLIF FROM A TO Z
 
 
Most people I know do not especially care for cemeteries.
 
But most of us have visited a few and will again.
 
In fact, most of us will end up there. If not in a grave in a columbarium.
 
When I say end up there, I mean as far as this world is concerned. 
 
The first cemetery I visited was in the little town of Fletcher, Oklahoma. We had gone there to bury my mother. I was eleven years old. So many sad things about that day are locked in my memory.
Watching the casket being lowered down into the ground. Hearing the dirt clods hitting hard on top of the casket as the men shoveled the dirt in to fill the grave.
 
Over the years I have visited many cemeteries and helped bury many people---young and old.
 
As a minister I have walked that lonely trail of tears to cemeteries in Southern California, Northern California and Arizona.
 
Officiating at funerals was one of the most difficult things I did as a minister. I realized my job was to comfort those who had lost a loved one. Every funeral message I preached was bathed in prayer.
I have always felt closest to God when preaching.
 
There are some beautiful cemeteries in this world. But we do not like to leave our loved ones there.
 
I'm writing on this topic today only because it makes up a large part of my life.
 
We may not like to think about cemeteries and there is no need to dwell on them but we should think about them occasionally and what they represent.
 
Hebrews 9:27 says it is appointed unto man once to die and after this the judgment.
 
Something to think about-------occasionally.


0 comments: