THE SOUTHERN FOODIE'S GUIDE TO THE PIG

Friday, September 19, 2014


THE SOUTHERN FOODIE'S GUIDE TO THE PIG
A Culinary Tour of the South's Best Restaurants & the Recipes that Made Them Famous
By Chris Chamberlain

OVERVIEW: From chops to loins, belly to bacon, and every complementary side dish in between, Chris Chamberlain's culinary curiosity has once again yielded the ultimate field guide to the South's storied gastronomic landscape. In this book he explores the region's best sources of pork perfection. The Southern Foodie's Guide to the Pig dishes up both generations-old and newfangled recipes, weaving together a story of the South's longstanding love affair with pork and those well-loved accompaniments that complete the meal. State by state, you'll uncover the secrets of the region's best chefs, pit masters, and hog farmers. (Adapted from the back of the book.)

AUTHOR: Chris Chamberlain is a food and drink writer based out of Nashville, TN. He is a regular contributor to the Nashville Scene and Their "Bites" food blog as well as Nashville Lifestyles magazine. He is also the Southern correspondent for FoodRepublic.com, a national website dedicated to "Drinking, Eating, and Living the Way a Man Should." He has written about Southern food and drink for local Palate, Relish, Taste of the South, Julep, the Bourbon Review, the Southern Foodways Alliance's Gravy newsletter, and as a kitchen gadget reviewer at www.geardiary.com.

MY REVIEW: Wow! Wow! Wow! Yes, I realize this may not be the most mature way to begin a review. But I have really been impressed with this book. I like it a lot. My first Wow was when I opened it and thumbed through it looking at the great pictures. My second Wow was when I looked at the table of contents. And my loudest Wow came when I started reading the recipes. When the book came in the mail and I took it out of the box, I said to my wife, "This is my kind of book."

Part of the long title, sub-title I guess, is: How To Select, Prepare, Cook, And Enjoy Everything But the Oink. Does it actually do all of that? You know, I think it does. I really do.

I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I know the one I am going to try first. It's Chicken Fried Pork Chops From Delta Bistro. If it is half as good as it looks in the pictureWOW!

If you don't like pork, don't buy this book. But if you do this is the book for you because that's what it is all aboutPORK.

(I received this book from Book Look Bloggers in exchange for a fair and honest review.)

0 comments: