Paul Harvey And Prayer

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

When I read something Paul Harvey has written I often say, "I wish I had written that." When I read his article on prayer I felt that way. I will not quote the entire article, it's too long. I agree with it all but here is what I like best:

I DON'T BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO SUE SOMEBODY FOR SINGING A HO-HO-HO IN DECEMBER.

LIFE, LIBERTY OR YOUR PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS WILL NOT BE ENDANGERED BECAUSE SOMEONE SAYS A 30-SECOND PRAYER BEFORE A FOOTBALL GAME.

SO WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? IT'S NOT LIKE SOMEBODY IS UP THERE READING THE ENTIRE BOOK OF ACTS.

...THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, A COUNTRY FOUNDED ON CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES. SO WHAT WOULD YOU EXPECT--SOMEBODY CHANTING HARE KRISHNA?

IF I WENT TO A FOOTBALL GAME IN JERUSALEM, I WOULD EXPECT TO HEAR A JEWISH PRAYER. IF I WENT TO A SOCCER GAME IN BAGHDAD, I WOULD EXPECT TO HEAR A MUSLIM PRAYER. IF I WENT TO A PING PONG MATCH IN CHINA, I WOULD EXPECT TO HEAR SOMEONE PRAY TO BUDDHA. AND I WOULDN'T BE OFFENDED.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ATHEISTS?" WHAT ABOUT THEM?

NOBODY IS ASKING THEM TO BE BAPTIZED. WE'RE NOT GOING TO PASS THE COLLECTION PLATE.

CHRISTIANS ARE JUST SICK AND TIRED OF TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK WHILE OUR COURTS STRIP US OF ALL OUR RIGHTS. OUR PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS TAUGHT US TO PRAY BEFORE EATHING; TO PRAY BEFORE WE GO TO SLEEP. OUR BIBLE TELLS US TO PRAY WITHOUT CEASING. NOW A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE AND THEIR LAWYERS ARE TELLING US TO CEASE PRAYING.

THE SILENT MAJORITY HAS BEEN SILENT TOO LONG. IT'S TIME WE LET THAT ONE OR TWO WHO SCREAM LOUD ENOUGH TO BE HEARD...THAT THE VAST MAJORITY DON'T CARE WHAT THEY WANT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't see the connection between football and christianity, or any religion. i don't see the connection between any religion ond any sport. i don't mind christianity, or any religion but those who do want to pray perhaps can do so before they go to the game, or quietly for themselves. if one really feel the need to pray together with other people one can do so in church or other christian gatherings.

peace

Anonymous said...

I believe that prayer before a game like football is asking for two things for God. One it is asking for a shield of protection around the players. It is a rough sport and getting hit the wrong way can mess somebodys life up pretty bad. Second and equally important it helps our youth recognize that no matter if they are the best or the worst on the field they are a part of something much greater. That something is a team, a school, a community, a country, etc. We are all part of a larger picture, and in our case God's picture. I think it is important to attach something like God to what kids believe is important. That way in life when other important things happen (marriage, child birth, etc.) God will be honored.