THE POWER OF POSITIVE FITNESS

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

THE POWER OF POSITIVE FITNESS
Maximizing Physical Mental & Spiritual Health
By John M. Rowley

OVERVIEW: This book gives you a powerful playbook for your life. The Power of Positive Fitness enables you to: follow a plan for physical fitness leading to a lifetime of vitality and energy, take the confusion out of diet and exercise once and for all, develop the mental edge to break through fears that hold you back, practice Christian spiritual disciplines that will dramatically impact your health and happiness and learn the Lifestyle Restoration Cycle for success in all areas.

AUTHOR: John M. Rowley is a full-time author, speaker, television and radio personality. Wellness Director for the International Sports Science Association, and Public Relations Director for Powerhouse Gyms International. He also contributes to Martha Stewart Living, Fox News, Smart Money, and the Wall Street Journal. The media call him "America's Lifestyle Strategist." John and his wife, Cathy, live in Raleigh, North Carolina.

MY REVIEW: I agree with Coach Lou Holtz, who in his foreword to this book says, "This book gives you a powerful playbook for your life. Read it, enjoy the funny and inspiring stories, and soak in the simple-to-implement principles―but most importantly, use it." Be sure to linger on his words, "but most importantly, use it." Isn't that the key to a book like this? We will never know how good it really is until we put to use what we have learned. I am in the process of testing John Rowley's plan in my own life. I go to the gym four days a week and I take his advice with me and put it to the test.

In this book John Rowley gives us a fitness plan for physical, mental and spiritual fitness. He writes in an interesting and inspiring way. He makes you want to get up and get into action. If this was just a book on physical fitness it would be needed by many. But it is more than that. John helps us to see that being healthy involves how we think about ourselves, others and God.

I recommend this book to everybody looking for a "whole person" fitness plan. Now I want to mention my one disappointment. This is not a big thing but I would like the book even more if changes were made in the recipes offered. I will tell you that I grew up in Oklahoma, went to college in Texas and love comfort food. However, I have a good education and have traveled all over the world eating all kinds of food. I say that to let you know that I have not just walked out of the woods and into town for the first time. When I saw the recipes I asked myself, "Who eats this food? Will the common people receive it gladly?" Should the recipes be for biscuits and gravy? Absolutely not! But Grilled Octopus Salad with tomatoes and Arugula? Come on!

(I want to thank ACU Press & Leafwood Publishers for giving me this book for review without any requirements for a positive review.)

1 comments:

John Rowley said...

Thank you for such a kind review. Please let me know if I can help in any way with your fitness plan. And I agree with the grilled octopus salad :-) I wanted to give a little creative freedom to those helping with that section. I eat pretty plain myself. :-)

John