SACRED WAITING

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

BOOK REVIEW: SACRED WAITING--Waiting on God in a World That Waits for Nothing by David Timms

Author, David Timms is right when he says we live in a world that waits for nothing. "So we grumble when the computer takes two minutes to boot up. We eat a lot of fast food. We live attached to our cell phones or BlackBerrys so we can quickly pick up every call, text message, or email--even when on vacation."

Scripture constantly speaks of waiting: "Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength" (Isaiah 40:31). "I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard me cry." (Psalm 40:1).

"The good news is that waiting on God is much more than watching the clock. Waiting plays a vital role in our spiritual formation as we draw closer to the Lord and respond to His leading." Pastor and Bible professor David Timms challenges believers to rediscover this lost spiritual discipline and reveals the hidden treasures of waiting on God--the peace and joy of being with Him.

"The heroes of the faith all waited on God. And just like Abraham, Moses and David, you'll find that your best moments arise from God's timing, not your own. Every covenant God made came at the end of a season of waiting. God's rewards wait for you when you learn to practice Sacred Waiting.

Timms writes about what Noah, Abraham, Moses, David and Jesus learned from waiting and what we can learn from them. In addition, he writes about: The Advent, Lenten, Easter, Pentecost and Kingdom Wait. Although I spent years studying in Bible Colleges and Seminaries, I learned things from this book I had never known before. David Timms teaches New Testament and Theology and chairs the Graduate Ministry Department at Hope International University in Fullerton, California. Australian by birth, David has been a church planter, pastor, and trainer of pastors for twenty-five years. He writes in an easy, free flowing manner that is easy to understand.

I recommend this splendid book as one of the best I have read on the subject of waiting on God.

5 comments:

RCUBEs said...

Aren't we all waiting for Him? That sounds like a great book bro. Clif. Thank you always for sharing all these books you review. So informative. Blessings to you.

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

This sounds like a must read. Too often in our fast paced sense of living we expect God to be on the same urgent schedule as put ourselves on. Thanks for sharing just what a valuable resource you found this to be.


Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Mevely317 said...

Reading your title, I had to smile. Only 3 hours ago, I was 'splaining to my doctor how attuned I've become to "instant gratification" ... what do you mean I have to give it 4-6 weeks? We've become so spoiled ... be it a pill, fast food, etc.

Kat has said it so well, above! How presumptious to think God gives a whit about our busy schedule.

No doubt, I'd never hear of these books were it not for your reviews. This one's going on my List, for sure. Thank you, Clif.

Myra

Cheptoek said...

Been away and just catching up now on the posts I missed. Thank you for this great review. A lot of the books you review have been so appropriate to what I am going through in life right now.
I am reading the book "God will do the rest" that I won on your blog and it has already been a blessing. Thank you!

Saleslady371 said...

waiting is so hard. I'm glad you found a good book about it!