THE WOMAN WHO NAMED GOD

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

BOOK REVIEW--THE WOMAN WHO NAMED GOD--Abraham's Dilemma And The Birth Of Three Faiths By Charlotte Gordon

The Woman Who Named God is one of the most provocative, challenging, and informative books I have read in many months. And I read many books every month. It is a compelling, thoughtful take on one of the Bible's most troubling love stories.

Charlotte Gordon tells the story of three biblical characters, racked with the very modern ailments of jealousy, fear, passion, and self-doubt. This is a story of fidelity abandonment, birthright and expulsion. The saga of Abraham, Sarah, and Hagar is the origin for three monotheistic faiths.

Gordon graduated from Harvard College and received a master's degree in creative writing and a PhD in history and literature from Boston University. She has taught a Boston University's School of Theology and is currently an assistant professor of English at Endicott College.

Now for a warning! Most of the visitors to my blog are conservative Christians. This is good. I like that. I have no problem with that at all. However, since I know how some of you react to words like: myth, legend, Islam, Mohammed and a host of other words, I feel the need to warn you that those words are in this book. If you can be open minded and trust yourself to read and profit from differing views, then you will enjoy this book. If not, you may be scared out of your wits. So don't try it. Don't sign up for a copy of this book unless you think you can handle it. Good! Now, with that out of the way, let me tell you again that I thoroughly enjoyed this book and learned from it.

This is a beautiful, hardcover, readable, scholarly book that five of you will be adding to your library.

LEAVE A COMMENT, MAKE ME HAPPY AND ALSO WIN A BOOK. PLEASE DO IT. YOU WILL ENJOY THIS BOOK.

The generous folks at Hachette Book Group are allowing me to host this book giveaway for five (5) copies!

  • Winners are restricted to the US and Canada. No PO Box mailing address please.
  • You do not have to be a blogger to win. You can win more than once on my blog.
  • I MUST have a way of contacting you, so be sure to leave your email address in your comment.
  • Some choose to omit the @ sign and the . dot by writing it in "code" like this: you (at) your email (dot)com.
  • I'll close the comments August 18 and pick the five winners. I will contact the winners via email to get their mailing information. The winners will have three days to respond. If I do not hear from them within three days, I will select another winner(s).

13 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

I think a lot can be learned from learning about other's religions and cultures.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat
Stevenkat27@verizon.net

SmilingSally said...

The real problem is that there are so many good books to read and so little time!

Mary said...

Hi Clif, Interesting that we don't get much teaching in church about this topic, yet it is critical in understanding where we are today. I hope to win, but will buy it if I don't. Because I'm an avid reader with less time than I would like to, I'm grateful that you are there to read them first!

Loren said...

OHHHH this sounds good! NONE of these words scare me and I would LOVE to read this book so please enter me into the drawing! and since posting a comment 4 times that night made you so happy, maybe I should get out my trigger happy finger again and try that.....JUST KIDDING!

BLESSINGS TO YOU CLIF!

Loren said...

OOPS
email~ lrn.mcghee@gmail.com

Cheptoek said...

I would be interested in knowing more about different perspectives. Thank you.
clesiew@gmail.com

RCUBEs said...

I think I'll pass for now but came here to thank you because I got the copy of "The Power to Change Today" from the mail. So, I want to spend time reading this for now. Thank you bro. Clif for sharing us these wonderful books! God bless.

Anonymous said...

This book looks amazing! What a great giveaway! Please enter my name in your draw. Thanks!
wandanamgreb (at) gmail (dot) com

Marjorie/cenya2 said...

This book sounds very interesting and I would love to win a copy.

cenya2 at hotmail dot com

Mary said...

This is the one I entered, but forgot to leave my email!

orangetea@astound.net

So sweet of you to do this, Clif. Thank you, for whoever wins!

Anonymous said...

My whole life I have felt lost or torn between worlds, cultures, faiths... Much like the author Ms. Gordon. And same as her, I have pursued a journey of learning and finding my own personal God. The book looks to be a great read. Please accept this as my entry... Thank you and have a lovely day.

Aliya D.
aliyadaya(at)shaw(dot)ca

Unknown said...

Hi Clif, this is my first visit to your site - it is a WOW! experience. Elvis is singing to me now "Your Always on My Mind." Wonderful books, music, thoughts that provoke - may the Lord continue to bless you with His all sufficient grace as you open up new thoughts. Someone wrote "The mind expanded by a new thought will never return to its former size." Your site is expanding mine already, thank you so much. I'd like to have this book too. bjdeason@comcast.net

kp said...

Thank you for your comments. I just happened on the site and am so glad I came - and it won't be the last time.