MIRACLES

Saturday, September 01, 2012

MIRACLES
A Journalist Looks at Modern-Day
Experiences of God's Power
By Tim Stafford
Senior Writer For Christianity Today

OVERVIEW: Award-winning journalist Tim Stafford shares captivating stories of modern-day miracles, wrestling over what is credible and what isn't. But more than that, he offers wisdom and insight to help you figure out the role miracles should play in your faith. Should you expect miracles? Ignore them? Pray for them? How active is God in the world today? And could he be more active in your own life?

AUTHOR: Tim Stafford is a lifelong professional writer with more than twenty published books. Tim serves as senior writer for Christianity Today and has published hundreds of articles in that magazine as well as in other publications.

MY REVIEW: I believe God can still do miracles. But I have not always felt this way. I should say I have not always believed that He wanted to do miracles today. I knew He could if He wanted to! For a long time I was what Tim Stafford calls a "Semi-Believing Doubter." Oh, I wanted to believe in miracles today but I just thought that God's purpose for miracles had passed.

So yes, I believe God still performs miracles today but of all the stories I hear about miracles I don't know which stories are true. However, I no longer concern myself with acting as an FBI agent and digging for the truth of every experience. Because there are shady faith-healers, and gimmicks like holy land water it's foolish to believe every miracle account we hear. So how do we discount the fakes without missing out on the real miracles in the process?

Tim Stafford's excellent study helps with that. I agree with John Ortberg who said, "Tim has taken on one of the most important and fascinating topics in the world and written with learning, honesty, faith and grace." This book helps with learning how to explore this subject with wisdom and honesty, growing your faith and hope along the way. Craig Keener has recently written a two volume work with the title MiraclesThe Credibility of The New Testament Accounts  that is receiving much praise. I plan to purchase and study those two volumes. But even so I know this small volume will remain at the top of my list for value and help.

(I received this book from Bethany House (A division of Baker Publishing Group) in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.)

0 comments: