THE SHAPE OF MOTHERHOOD IN THE GRIP OF GOD

Monday, July 27, 2009

BOOK REVIEW - BLUE LIKE PLAY DOUGH by Tricia Goyer.

Ginger Kolbaba, editor of Today's Christian Woman said "I couldn't put Blue Like Pay Dough down." I agree with her. Tricia Goyer tells of her unlikely journey from rebellious, pregnant teen to busy wife and mom in a way that captures your attention and won't let you go. Kolbaba goes on to say, "Tricia's love of God comes through on every page as she shows what motherhood is like when God wields His rolling pin and smoothes the rough edges of her life. Before you know it, your heart will be putty in God's hands, too."

In Tricia's story you'll find laughter, understanding, and inspiration for your own story. And in the midst of your daily demands, you'll discover the hands of God at work...and know he has something beautiful in mind.

Tricia Goyer is the author of eighteen books of fiction and nonfiction. She writes for several Christian publications and speaks to women's groups nationwide. She and her husband, John, live with their family in Montana.

I like what author Mary Byers said about this book. She said, "Tricia's story reveals a great truth: that as God uses us to grow our kids. He grows us in the process too." Author Margaret McSweeney wrote, "Tricia's book is a masterpiece on motherhood---sculpted by her hands---shaped by her love for God."

Needless to say, I'm not a mother, but this book had me laughing, almost crying and wondering if I'm the only man that would feel this way. I think most men will find this book honest, gut-wrenching and funny. I liked this book!

You may want to check out Tricia's website at www.triciagoyer.com. And if you go to the Random House website http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781601421524 you will see all of the different options where you can purchase the book online.

6 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

I will definitely have to check out this book. Sounds like something wonderful within it's pages!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

RCUBEs said...

This is a neat thing that before buying something, you get the review first whether it's a must read or not. And sometimes, you share books that I haven't even heard of. Thank you for this. God bless and may He continue to guide you and give you His strength.

SmilingSally said...

I wanted to read and review this one, but moving interfered. I'm glad you liked it!

Mary said...

Hi Clif, thanks for sharing your report on this book. I'm going to suggest it to my book club at church. We need something with a little humor these days! And thanks for your kind words on my SS yesterday. You were so fortunate to have met President and Mrs. Reagan. I only regret that I didn't have the interest in American or world events at the time. So many of us are like an ostrich, with our head in the sand. I'm not like that now, as I see prophecy unfolding before my very eyes! God bless!

kymber said...

Hi Clif,
This book sounds like a good one to get for my daughter who is struggling with raising my three year old granddaughter. She is not attending church right now and I desperately want her to feel God's love and hand on her life again. She was raised going to church and I hoped that she would find the strength once she became a mother to go back. Unfortunately her husband is not a Christian and she doesn't want to attend church alone. I have been trying to find reading material for her that would encourage her to stand up for her faith and be strong enough to venture down the path alone for awhile. I told her that it may be the way to get her husband to go too! I pray that she will find the strength to take that first step. She is a very submissive wife and won't do anything outside of what her husband wants.

I prayed for her this morning that God would help me find a way to reach her. I will DEFINITELY look into this book.
Thank you for sharing it!
Blessings to you,
Kymber

bp said...

I'm going to check out her website, thanks!