THE HEART OF A CHILD

Thursday, March 01, 2012

JUST A MINUTE
In the Heart of a Child, One Moment Can Last Forever
By Wess Stafford

OVERVIEW: Just A Minute  is a book filled with story after powerful story of lives changed because someone took just a minute to really connect in the life of a child.

Do you remember that one moment (or maybe there were several) that changed your life when you were a child—and shaped part of who you are today? Does it bring a smile to your face? Tears to your eyes? A wistful gaze back through time? We all have those stories and we can all, now, make those stories happen! All it takes is one moment out of your busy day, and you can be that someone in the life of the very next child who comes across your path. It may be your own son or daughter. Or perhaps it's the child down the street playing soccer. Or maybe it's the one having a meltdown in the grocery store.

Sixty-eight stories that will inspire you to bless a child's life.

AUTHOR: From a poor village in Africa's Ivory coast to President and Chief Executive Officer of Compassion International, Dr. Wesley K. Stafford has maintained one simple belief: Every child is precious. To that end, Wess leads Compassion's efforts to break the cycle of poverty for children everywhere. Wess, an internationally recognized advocate for children, joined the staff of Compassion International in 1977 and has worked with the ministry, both overseas and at headquarters, since that time. He has served as president since 1993. Wess lives on a small ranch near Colorado Springs, Colorado, with his wife, Donna, who was a Compassion sponsor even before she met Wess! They have two daughters, Jenny and Katie―the two children in the world for whom Wess is the greatest advocate of all.

MY REVIEW: Dr. Stafford said, "From the stories of others I have become convinced that if God stands a child before you, for even just a minute, it is a divine appointment. You have the chance to launch a life, if you will. You never know when you are making a memory." Wow! I believe this to be true. What a blessing and what a responsibility.

The stories in this book touched my heart and I believe they will touch yours. I would finish reading a story with tears in my eyes only to find that as soon as I read another story it started all over again. This book helped me to realize as never before that we have the power and opportunity to buildup—or tear down with as little as a single word. It can all happen in just a minute. "A life can be greatly influenced with a word, an uplifting moment, a well-timed hug, a tender prayer, a compliment, the holding of a frightened hand or the gentle wiping of a tear—all in just a minute!"

Wess Stafford has asked that all author royalties from the sale of this book be given to Compassion International to minister to children in poverty around the world.

(This book was given to me by C. Grant And Company with no expectations that the review would be only positive.)

2 comments:

keri said...

Just a Minute didn’t just touch my heart, it stirred me to action. It’s a great collection of stories of pivotal moments when someone spoke a word of encouragement, or noticed a child, or named that child’s strength—and the results lasted forever. After being inspired by these stories, I decided it wouldn’t take much for me to offer that kind of encouragement. I have been much more intentional, since I read this book, in slowing down a little, making time in my life to give love and attention to children--my own teenagers, a friend's preschoolers, even children I don't know but happen to encounter in my daily life. I've tried to take just a minute to speak words of affirmation--not just to kids but to anyone I happen to interact with! If you want to share a story of a time someone made a difference in your life, you can go to http://justaminute.com/#story and share one.

Lori Heyd said...

Oh wow, I love that precious quote about a divine appointment! I believe that to be so true...I may have to get this book! Thank you for posting! Lori