BOOK REVIEW

Tuesday, December 15, 2009


PRIMAL--A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
By Mark Batterson

OVERVIEW: Our generation needs a REFORMATION. But a single person won't lead it. A single event won't define it. Our reformation will be a movement of reformers living compassionately, creatively, courageously for the cause of Christ. This reformation will not be born of a new discovery. It will be the rediscovery of something old, something ancient. Something PRIMAL. This book is an invitation to become part of a reformation movement. It is an invitation to rediscover the compassion, wonder, curiosity and energy that turned the world upside down two thousand years ago. It is an invitation to be astonished again.

AUTHOR: Mark Batterson is the author of Wild Goose Chase and In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day. He serves as lead pastor of National Community Church in Washington DC, which is focused on reaching emerging generations. Mark has two master's degrees from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Chicago.

MY REVIEW: It was just after lunch when I picked up Primal, a 179 page book and started to read. Immediately following lunch is a dangerous time for me to try to read. I say, "Try" because I usually cannot stay awake after a full meal no matter how good the book is. However, my experience with Primal was different. I couldn't put it down. I didn't go to sleep or even nod off.

Primal is one of the most challenging books I have read this year. My wife's Uncle Emmett says after every meal, "That's the best meal I have ever eaten." Other members of the family roll their eyes and wonder how many times they have heard that before. I fear some of you may begin to feel the same way about my book reviews. Regardless, I recommend this book without reservation. I realize you will not agree with everything Mark says. But I wish every Christian would read his book."This book will help you live in light of what matters most and discover what it means to love God." It will help you love God will all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength. Mark calls you to be a part of God's reformation, starting in your own life.

5 comments:

Cheptoek said...

Clif, thank you for my book which I received yesterday. It brightened my day. It is one I really truly need. Thank you for blessing me with it.

I always appreciate your reviews.

hip chick said...

It sounds very interesting. I am in the market for a good Christian book and I think I'll give this one a try.

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

As always we treasure your insightful words and recommendations for any books you think are worthy of our time.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

SmilingSally said...

Truly, you placed your stamp of approval on this one!

Bab's Kitchen said...

Sounds very interesting.