BOOK REVIEW

Thursday, November 12, 2009


5 CITIES THAT RULED THE WORLD: How Jerusalem, Athens, Rome, London & New York Shaped Global History
By Douglas Wilson

OVERVIEW: In Five Cities that Ruled the World, theologian Douglas Wilson uses together in compelling detail, the critical moments birthed in history's most influential cities--Jerusalem, Athens, Rome, London, and New York.

Wilson issues a challenge to our collective understanding of history with the juxtapositions of freedom and its intrinsic failures; liberty and its deep-seated liabilities. Each revelation beckoning us deeper into a city's story, its political systems, and how it flourished and floundered.

MY REVIEW:  Douglas Wilson is a brilliant theologian and writer. He is a senior fellow of theology at New Saint Andrews College. He has taught ethics and logic elsewhere at the college level. He is the author of numerous books on education, theology and culture.

If you are a serious student of history and really want to learn something--you will love this book. I did! I rate this as one of the best books I have read this year. I want to emphasis however, that unless you are a serious student, you will not enjoy this book. Wilson writes in an interesting way and if you are serious about wanting to know about these cities and how they have shaped history you will not want to put this book down.

I have visited and read much about three of the five cities: Jerusalem, Athens and London. From this book I learned many things about these cities I did not know. Someone said, "It's history that teaches us hope." I agree with that. After reading this book I felt inspired, enlightened and encouraged to honor our shared history. I want to contribute to the present and I look to the future with unmistakable hope.

I contend that each of us knows what kind of reader we are. Hopefully then, you will know after reading my review if this is a book for you. It was for me and I recommend it to all like minded readers.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for this great review, Clif...I don't know if I'm a history buff or not...I would certainly like to know more than I do, especially since it isn't likely I'll ever visit any of these places. But maybe I would rather see it all in a movie.

I greatly admire your comments about wanting to contribute to the present and look to the future with unmistakable hope...I definitely agree with that. I do think that knowing history of not only America, but how we are connected to other countries would certainly help us achieve that worthy goal.

Blessings,
Mary

SmilingSally said...

Oh Clif, you've discovered my weak spot! I am not much interested in history! Shh. Please don't tell.