WOUNDED BY GOD'S PEOPLE

Saturday, September 07, 2013


WOUNDED by GOD'S PEOPLE
Discovering How God's Love Heals Our Hearts
By Anne Graham Lotz

OVERVIEW: In this book, Anne breaks the silence of the wounded and the wounders, in order to break the cycle of pain. Drawing on the biblical story of Hagar, Anne leads those who have been hurt by God's people on a path of discovering the healing power of God's redemptive love. This book is a love story...yours!

AUTHOR: Anne Graham Lotz is the president and CEO of AnGel.Ministries, a nonprofit organization that undergirds her efforts to draw people into a life-changing relationship with God through His Word. Called the best preacher in her family by her father, Billy Graham, Anne launched her Just Give Me Jesus ministry in 2000. She has spoken on seven continents, in more than twenty foreign countries, proclaiming the Word of God in arenas, churches, seminaries, and prisons. She is also the award-winning author of ten books.

MY REVIEW: It's not just because I identify with this book―which I do, I believe this is one of the best books I have read this year. I believe that everyone has been wounded...hurt...neglected...by others. But like Anne Graham Lotz, the sad truth is that our most painful wounds have been inflicted by religious people―God's people. This is so sad. It almost makes me cry just thinking about it. And I have shed many tears because of wounds inflicted by God's people. Let me say quickly that as one that has been wounded by Christians I, too, have wounded God's people. I am ashamed and sorry for that and have vowed that with God's help I will never again intentionally wound another person.

The most helpful part of the book is not just the true stories Anne shares about those that have been wounded, but how God helps those who have been hurt by others. She brings the life of Hagar into astonishing relevance. As she tells Hagar's story you will discover how time and again God acts to help those who have been hurt. But while Anne identifies with the wounded, the unpleasant reality is that she also identifies with the wounders because she has been one too. She helps you to see that by God's grace this wounding cycle can be broken.

I agree with Kathie Lee Gifford who wrote, "Anne's extraordinary new book encourages us to find our 'Inner Hagar' and set her free by the power of forgiveness. She has turned her own deep wounds into profound healing for others."

(I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.)

1 comments:

Mevely317 said...

This is really interesting; I enjoyed your own review, Clif.

Forgiveness is something I've struggled with most of my life. When "wounded", I generally turn my back (yes, including my "old" religion) and rarely look back.

I'm glad Ms. Lotz wrote this book; I may check it out; or at least remember to recommend it.