HOW TO BE A GOOD PASTOR

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

LETTERS to a YOUNG PASTOR
By Calvin Miller

OVERVIEW: In this book, Calvin Miller shares his well-earned wisdom with the next generation of pastors. He acknowledges much has changed over his years of ministry, as we've moved from switchboards to smartphones and from big-haired evangelists to cigar-smoking emergents. But two truths remain; God is love, and people are broken. In his honest, engaging, and humorous collection of letters, he encourages you to fight the good fight, stay the course, and keep your eye on the Author and Finisher of the faith.

AUTHOR: Calvin Miller was the pastor of Westside Church in Omaha, Nebraska, for twenty-five years. After teaching seven years at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, he joined the faculty of Samford University's Beeson Divinity School in Birmingham, Alabama, where he serves as research professor and distinguished writer-in-residence. He is the author of more than forty books.

MY REVIEW: I agree with Ed Stetzer, author, church planter and director of LifeWay Research, who called this book "A gift to the church...a gift to young pastors."  And what a gift it is! Timothy George, founding dean of Beeson Divinity School said, "This is the irrepressible Calvin Miller at his best." I agree. I have read many of Miller's forty books and this is one of the best.

This is an honest look at the church and the work of the pastor. Miller loves the church and he loves young pastors. Like a father who loves his children he can tell the truth about the church and preachers because of the great love he has for them. This is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time. Miller sees humor in almost everything that happens in the church and uses that humor to drive home great truth.

I wish I could have read a book like this when I started in full-time ministry. I will be recommending it to all the young pastors I know--but not only pastors, I will recommend it to all who love the church and care about pastors. There is something in this book for all Christians.

***Thanks to The B&B Media Group for providing my review copy.


1 comments:

Organizational Development Services Plus said...

Hello Clif

I wondered what happened? I have your blog saved so that I can review it. How about another book review? Have you read Dr. David Jeremiah's book "What in the World is Happening?

Mike