A STORY OF REDEMPTION AND LOVE AT ALL COSTS

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

BOOK REVIEW: REDEMPTION by Karen Kingsbury with Gary Smalley

Redemption is the first Karen Kingsbury book that I have read. I knew she was a New York Times best-selling author, but I thought her books were romance novels for women. Although that's not altogether bad, I just thought it wasn't for me. Redemption is definitely a page-turner. I found it difficult to put down. It is a good book with a good story line.

When Kari Baxter Jacobs finds out that her husband is involved in an adulterous relationship and wants a divorce, she decides she will love him and remain faithful to her marriage at all costs. This books shows how God can redeem seemingly hopeless relationships, and it illustrates one of Gary Smalley's key messages: Love is a decision.

Redemption is the first book in the five-book Redemption series that Gary and Karen will write about the Baxter family--their fears and desires, their strengths and weaknesses, their losses and victories. Each book explores key relationship themes as well as the larger theme of redemption, both in characters' spiritual lives and in their relationships.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about relating to family and friends and working out a troubled marriage.

11 comments:

Robin said...

Clif, you encourage me in numerous ways. I desire to write book reviews...I plan on writing one this week, now that my paper is finished. This books looks like one I would be interested in reading...thanks for the encouragement.

Loren said...

Clif,

I am so excited that you read this book...I have read EVERY karen kingsbury book and this is just the first of I think 20 in that family series. She has a theme and wonderful message about life, addictions, adultery, etc in every book. She has an amazing gift and if you have time to read the rest of this series you won't be disappointed!

Thankyou for sharing yet another awesome review...Blessings to you and Charlotte!

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

Thanks for all your recommendations for all types of books. You have really inspired me to keep up on my reading every day. I wonder just how many books I will get through just this year.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

Who is Dr. Gary Scheer at the Christian Church?

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Clif,
My daughter-in-law gave me one of Karen Kingsley's books for Mother's Day and I truly enjoyed it. This one sounds like a winner too. Thanks for recommending it. Enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

PS~ Sorry, I meant Karen Kingsbury!

SmilingSally said...

Karen Kingsbury is a popular author and her Baxter family is well known. I may be the only person who grinds teeth because of her sentence fragments.

Cheptoek said...

Not heard of her. Thank you for the recommendation. I am currently reading one of your recommendations having recently finished another one. Blessings to you Clif.

Robin said...

Clif,

I was going to leave a comment after your comment but thought it would be wiser to visit you on your blog!

I did sit last night and visited several blogs on the list, it was good to see who is all in the community.

I am part of the Thomas Nelson blog review, I have a book I need to write a review for. As I mentioned I would like to finish it this weekend.

I love comments too! : )

Fall when you are in ministry is an interesting time of year!

bp said...

I LOVE Karen Kingsbury books! I haven't started on her lastest series but have read the others in this series. Great books, each one has important lessons.

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

I loved this book! The 3rd book in the series is my favorite so far.. It's called Return